Anyone build a grill cabinet?
My neighbor was admiring my new deck yesterday evening, then looked at my grill sitting there looking kind of small and said "That just begs for a built in grill.". He's right, my current grill is just going to look too small and dinky with the robust planter boxes and benches I'm making. The grill itself, however, is more than adequate for our needs, so what I'm wondering is if anyone has made a cabinet to drop their grill into, on top of, etc. I'm sure there are heat issues to consider even if I use a stone top, but I have to believe it's doable. So, show me what you've made. Thanks.

And my wife decided I needed to add a couple of lamp posts at the stairs. This project will never be done.

John
Sometimes wood framed, 2x4's usually, but most I have seen are brick, block, stone, cement, or something similar. I just roll out the grill and go, so I'm not sure if that is just the "in" thing to do, or if it really goes deeper to making it less of a fire hazard.

For technical input I would suggest a PM to Greg "2beast" he is the outdoor living space guru.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Also could contact thooks, he is heavy into grilling.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Use metal studs, cover it in concrete backer boards. Tile it or slate it or something. Stone top and done. I did 2x4s 5 years ago no issues.
Not that hard to build and can be done for less than you think. Metal stud framing covered in durock. Veneer stone the outside and get cheap granite pre-made countertop.
Thanks for the replies so far. But think Ipe'; after all, it is an Ipe' deck. Metal studs and Hardi board are fine for the guts of it, but the outside has got to be wood. A stone or stainless steel top for sure.

Let me rephrase the question. Has anyone built a built-in grill with a wood exterior? Thanks.

John