Stationary Planer Recommendation
I am planning to replace/upgrade my benchtop planer with a stationary planer and need some input. Due to the size of my shop I am pretty much in the 15” to 16” range. I currently have a 13” Delta 22-590 (I realized the DeWalt DW 735 is an alternative – but I really need something that I can run a lot of material through and is not so noisy). I also want a planer equipped with a spiral cutter head (I’m getting tired of purchasing/replacing knives on a routine basis – they just don’t seem to last that long!)

I scoured the net and my collection of Fine Woodworking magazines but, couldn’t really find any useful reviews (although there was an article that discussed various spiral cutter heads – which recommended the Byrd Shelix as one of the best).

Some of the planers I’ve considered:

Laguna 16” (probably out of my price range)

Delta 15” (if I could find one – plus I would have to upgrade it with the Byrd cutter head)

Grizzly (as it turns out I could purchase the GO453 – and then install a Byrd cutter head – total cost $1674 – cheaper than buying the Grizzly GO435Z which already comes with the spiral head – total cost $1795. Also the review in FW liked the Byrd better than the stock Grizzly cutter).

All thoughts are appreciated. Thanks
I have the G0453z......and IMHO its great.

I run thousands of BF through it yearly....with little complaints.

To me, a planer isnt a finish tool...I like the spiral heads because they are more quiet and require less blade maintenance.

Not sure $100 is worth my time trying to swap a cutterhead...and getting it aligned. FWIW.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

I went the 0453 route and then swapped for a Byrd. I was coming from a DW735. The large planer is awesome, very powerful and quiet, but it does take some getting used to the fact it's not a finishing tool in the way some of the smaller planers can be. Perhaps there are still things I can dial in.
I recently upgraded from a benchtop to the griz 15" with spiral head. No regrets. I added a Digital Read Out to make depth of cut changes easy. This allows me to vary the cut for abnormal rough lumber and end up at the same thickness all day long.
WoodNET... the new safespace
Certainly buying the Griz (with the installed head) is turnkey, and probably the quickest way to get to point B. I have the Delta 15" and I installed the Byrd head...I actually bought the Byrd from Grizzly, they were slightly cheaper.If you don't mind the work, buy the G0453 and install the Byrd your self. Your ears will most definitely thank you, along with the other advantages of the spiral head.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Thanks for the feedback. Very helpful.

I have also read the finish with a spiral cutter head is not quite as good as with standard straight blades. Is it a noticeable difference (i.e., how “bad” is it)? It probably won’t change my decision because I think a stationary machine will be able to handle more material and be quieter overall. If it takes a little more finish work with the sander I’m fine with that – as long as it’s not a significant effort. That’s why I was thinking of changing over the standard Grizzly spiral cutter head with the Byrd – which I from what I’ve read looks like it produces a slightly better finish (plus it looks like it would be a little cheaper).

FWIW – my existing benchtop planer with straight blades actually produces a very good finish (when the blades are NEW!!) – but they really don’t last too long.
The cut from the spiral isn't bad at all. My DW735 with straight blades would put out a surface I'd call 400 grit (aka glass smooth). The Grizz straight blades, maybe 220. Spiral, 120. The big issue for me isn't so much the finish from the blades, it's the marks the serrated infeed rollers leave. They can be minimized, but difficult to adjust completely out and still get good feed. If I take a deep cut, no marks, but if I'm sneaking up on a thickness, I do have to contend with them. My understanding is it might be possible to dial this in better but I haven't put in the time yet. My use is for faster/rougher dimensioning.
I also think the cut from the spiral heads is good. What happens with many of them is you will get some lines that run the length of the boards. A common suggestion is to remove all the inserts, clean the seats, and then re torque the inserts properly. I did that, and it solved my problem. For some reason that didn't work on my jointer, though.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I recently purchased a Jet 15" planer equipped with a Shelix head to replace my Delta 22-580. The first thing I noticed is the noise. The Delta (as with most bench top planers I am told) screamed. I had to wear hearing protection anytime it was on.

The second thing is that the rollers on the Jet actually work. As you may know, the Delta bench top planers don't always pull the boards through at a consistent rate.

The third thing is that the Shelix head provides as good of finish as my Delta.

The 3 hp sure makes a big difference, too. The Delta will take a lot of punishment, but because the Jet is so much more powerful, it handles a lot more wood more easily.

Cons: There is a little more snipe but I think that can be tweeked out by adjusting the infeed and outfeed tables. The other things I don't like is that there are no swivel casters. The planer rolls easily but to turn it you've got to lift up on one end a bit and push it in the direction you want to go. The other thing is that the dust collector spout goes only to the left. It can't be switched to the other side. These are curious deficiencies for such a well built machine.

I know you didn't list Jet as an option but I am very pleased with mine and wouldn't hesitate to buy one again.
Don_M said:

I have also read the finish with a spiral cutter head is not quite as good as with standard straight blades.

I disagree with that. Mine comes off like glass in most instances....

For me....its the length of use on the edge that is awesome for me. Right now I have about 1500BF on my current edge. To spin them on the 15" grizz take maybe 90 minutes....because I am super anal. I take them off, brush the sockets, clean the knife, blow it out and then reinsert.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)