Re painting old kitchen cabinets
I am making new doors and drawers for my daughters kitchen. Whoever gave the advice to use BM Advance is a wizard. Sprays beautifully with my Earlex 5500.

Now for the hard part. I need to paint her cabinets to match. They are in a 60's era house and have had several coats of paint. I'm thinking of just sanding (not to bare wood but to level and smooth) and repainting. Is there anything I need to do beside sand? Any tips?

TIA,

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
I would probably hit it with a quick coat of BIN primer after I sanded.
It will seal up anything you might miss and allow you to fill any bad spots before paint.
It's great paint but watch it on the verticals, it really likes to run if your not careful.
By the way since its a 60's house you should absolutely put a tent over the entire house , wear a haz-mat suit and contact 3 or 4 government agencies before you sand.
Rusty
Poppa's Woodworks
The BIN is a great idea, but I'm questioning whether you will get to where you want to be with just a sanding to smooth. Stripping may be required, but it won't hurt to try the smooth sanding.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Thanks Rusty, I used the BIN on the drawers & doors, but it was too thick to spray. I used a synthetic brush and sanded lightly before spraying the BM. I think I remember you used the Earlex as well - are you able to spray the BIN? It took forever to flow through the cup (over 200 seconds before I gave up).

And yes, I am drafting requests for oversight to the City and County, do you recommend contacting the State and EPA as well?

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
I'm really hoping I don't have to strip, there's lots of surface and shelves. Ugh!!!!

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
I don't use a turbine, I have a old Regular spray gun that use for BIN. Not that I don't think you could spray with HVLP but I hate having to meticulous clean the good guns for shellac based stuff (probably just lazy)
The 200 seconds on BIN does not sound right. It is a very low viscosity primer & I spray it right from the can.
But it will also brush easy .
Rusty
Poppa's Woodworks
I used BIN 1-2-3 WB. Is that what you're spraying? It was very thick and 200 seconds was when I quit counting.

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
No
Your right 123 is thick as mud. I have to use a airless to spray that.
BIN is the Shellac based primer, whole different animal. It costs abou twice as much as the others but is worth it.
Hold on & will show you.
Rusty
Poppa's Woodworks
Here ha go

" />
Poppa's Woodworks
The only problem I had trying to spray the BIN Shellac (that's the stuff you want) was that the pigment kept settling out in my cup, which was a huge PITA to deal with. That said, I'm sure I'm one of the few who can't spray BIN, most others seem to spray it with no problem. BTW, if the shelves are removable, I think I'd just make new ones.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.