auction mystery jig
OK, not a total mystery, but I'm still perplexed. I went to a very cool estate auction yesterday. LOTS of woodworking stuff from big machines to all the little bits and pieces we all accumulate. I bought nothing major of gloat worthy proportions, but I did score a couple of "what'll you give me for everything left on the table" kind of deals. Among one of those 'clean up' deals, were these planer knife setting jigs. They appear to be well made quality jigs. I'm just not sure how to use them. They are aluminum with magnets mounted on the two bottoms. The probes are adjustable and one of the jigs has a dial indicator. I'm a little confused because unlike many jigs the magnets don't appear to be set so they would necessarily mate with a round cutter head- although I suppose they would saddle over a round head. Also do the probes just serve as a touch point on the knives and if so, what it the purpose of the dial indicator. Maybe it is a proprietary jig made for a specific model planer? No manufacturer markings anywhere on the jigs. As I said, it looks like a quality jig to me, but only if I knew how to use it.
" />
It could very easily be a shop built measuring tool built for a specific purpose.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Thanks Ralph, you may be right. One of the jigs has the word "planer" written on it with a permanent marker. That is really my only clue. If they are shop built, I doff my hat to the guy that built them. Its a wonderful piece of machining, if only I could figure how and what to use them for!
I doubt it is proprietary to any planer but the pics don't really give enough info to even determine it is for a planer

From what little I can see it appears the plunger comes out the back of the DI

that would be the biggest clue as to it's purpose as it would work for setting knives and with an extension setting rollers in the bed

JMO

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Definitely a purpose built gage...the "Standard" brand indicator is the 1st clue, top of the line, usually used by gage companies.

More pics might help.

Ed
I'll guess he was a machinist by day... woodworker by night.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15