How to remove countertop from 1/2 wall?
I need to remove the laminate countertop that sits on a half wall separating the kitchen from the dining room. Are these things usually held down with construction adhesive? I'm going to replace it with a solid wood slab. How do I take out the old one? Will a pry bar do it or do I need to get a sawzall blade in the joint? How do I secure the new top? Construction adhesive again or screw in from the top and plug the holes?

Thanks
Paul
I'd try just pulling up on the thing first and see what happens
Benny

I usually use a metal plate(s). These are attached to the top of the wall and overhang it so that there are holes allowing the countertop to be attached from the bottom up through the metal plate.

Install the plate then install the countertop on it.
WoodNET... the new safespace
That is pretty common way to do it but I have seen people just screw it down. I would look for brackets first, if no joy use a bi metal sawzall blade to cut it loose. The blade should have enough flex to get it done without much damage to the wall
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

If it was a postform top then it most likely has a plywood or particle board insert piece that is screwed down to the top of the wall and then it is screwed up through into the laminate top. If it is a site built top then it is probably nailed/screwed down to the knee wall and then the laminate applied to the top and edges. There could possibly be glue involved in either case, though I never did that.

Look underneath and see if there are any fasteners. If not then remove any trim under it and try to gently use a thin pry bar.
SLN said:

If it was a postform top then it most likely has a plywood or particle board insert piece that is screwed down to the top of the wall and then it is screwed up through into the laminate top. If it is a site built top then it is probably nailed/screwed down to the knee wall and then the laminate applied to the top and edges. There could possibly be glue involved in either case, though I never did that.

Look underneath and see if there are any fasteners. If not then remove any trim under it and try to gently use a thin pry bar.

I agree and I've never seen any sort of adhesive either but there is always a first time...
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
bennybmn said:

I removed the screws holding it to the 2 angle brackets and gave it a tug. It does rock back and forth so there's hope. Tomorrow before the kids go to bed, I'll cut the caulk joint at the bottom and try again with my dead blow and pry bar.
atgcpaul said:

[blockquote]bennybmn said:

I removed the screws holding it to the 2 angle brackets and gave it a tug. It does rock back and forth so there's hope. Tomorrow before the kids go to bed, I'll cut the caulk joint at the bottom and try again with my dead blow and pry bar.

[/blockquote]

Look up the word "anticlimactic" in the dictionary and you'll see a picture of me removing the breakfast bar top. Removed the 4 screws, cut the caulk joint with a utility knife, gave it a few unnecessary whacks from below with my mallet and it came right up. I'm thinking this setup worked for almost 20 years that I'll probably do the same thing with the new top.