Dust collection for old Delta bandsaw
I have an ancient Delta 28-200 bandsaw that has no provision for dust collection. I'd like to add that capacity. Can someone make a suggestion about how to do this? Thanks.
-Howard
Cut a 4" hole in the front lower door and put a hose flange on it.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Does that do a good job capturing all the dust? I'm about to mod my bandsaw, and have seen comments that there should be a second port towards the rear of the bottom wheel?
Howard Pollack said:

I have an ancient Delta 28-200 bandsaw that has no provision for dust collection. I'd like to add that capacity. Can someone make a suggestion about how to do this? Thanks.
-Howard

How ancient and what condition? Rockwell era (or newer) or in poor overall condition, go ahead and put a port in the lower cover. Delta or Delta Milwaukee and in good shape please don't mess up the tin, replacements are getting hard to come by.
I call it adequate, but it's not perfect. The performance you get depends a lot on how much air you pull through the port, I have a fairly good size DC so I get "adequate". The port would be handier on the back (like the newer saws have) but I didn't want to try and cut through the cast iron, even if I could have figured out where to put it. Here's another idea I like as well.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I have an even older Delta band saw, 102 series, made in Milwaukee.

I wonder how well the "Dust Free Band saw" shown works? I am hesitant to cut the lower door and also wonder if it would be possible to make up an entire lower door/dust collector?
I have a similar Delta. I cut a dust port in my door for my DC and I'm not 100% satisfied with the amount of dust removal. A short time ago, I had quite a bit of cutting to do so I rigged my dust hose to hang just below the table as close to the blade as I could get it (there is already a small dust port there. I just swung it down out of the way). This worked much better. For me, I don't want this as a permanent fixture as it gets in the way of table tilt.

A while back, some one on this forum or another, posted his solution which was a triangular plenum with the point of the triangle, where the dust is picked up, just under the table. The plenum extended downward to the base of the saw where it was wide enough for the DC hose attachment. This still allowed for the table to tilt. He said that this worked quite well. Someday, when I get a round tuit, I'll give this a try.
I just take a 4" hose from my dust collector, put a piece of 12ga copper wire around it and trim the end a bit so it can be hooked with the wire as close as possible to the underside of the saw around the blade hole. Not an elegant nor perfect solution, but I do recover maybe 60-70% of the dust. Upside is this does not require any modification of the saw.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I didn't want to cut holes in the cover so I fashioned a 2" PVC elbow to fit under the table and around the blade.

It's held in place by a metal bracket that fits under the handwheel of the lower blade cover. My shop vac hose fits into the elbow just nicely and is held in place with a drywall screw when I need it. I'd say I get about 90 - 95% of the dust, which is a lot when resawing wide stock. I can't use it when the table is tilted, but I rarely do that anyway.

John
From Highland Woodworking.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/bands...rks-2.aspx