Oak finishing
I started the post about table top finishes. Wood is quarter sawn white oak, I now have 4 coats of Gloss Arm-R-Seal applied with a old T shirt. I have sanded between coat but still have those small pores that don't seem to be getting smaller. What is the trick to get a smooth coat? I want to end up with a smooth satin finish. Maybe I should of done something before the Arm-R-Seal.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
If you want a dead flat finish on oak you should have filled the pores with grain filler prior to applying finish. Too late for that now, so you will just have to keep applying more coats of Arm-R-Seal and then sanding back until all the pores are filled. At that point switch to satin and wipe on a couple more coats to finish. Personally, I like the look of oak with a little of the grain showing.

John
+1 for John.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
+2 for John----I have a lot of furniture I built with 1/4 sawn oak and never filled the pores. Honestly, I think the beauty is in reys and honestly don't know if a pore filler would screw that up. Also +2 on final coat being satin.
Dave
John is correct on the sealing - beyond doing that now. On sealing oak furniture... some do it, some don't. Personally, I do not. It's a flippin mess I can do without. I spray my finish on, gets it done most of the time.
I've filled oak grain a few times with just varnish, but it wasn't wiping varnish. When it's that thin it takes forever to fill the grain. Even with undiluted it takes a long time. My approach is to apply 3 brushed coats let it cure enough to wet sand smooth, repeat until the pores are filled. After they get filled then one wipe on coat to restore the luster. This process is slow (for me, mostly due to the waiting time between sandings) I only use it when I absolutely have too.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Yes, trying to fill with varnish takes a mighty long time and when it does fill wait until it shrinks back over time.
It is possible to apply grain filler after a few coats of varnish. There are numerous ways to grain fill. My favourite is to sprinkle pumice on the surface and apply some sort of oil varnish. It takes two 'coats' of this to fill grain, drying time in between.
It does go slow. However, the pores start to fill in gradually and you can see the transformation. You can stop any time you like the look. I personally do not like a solid hard surface. With some of the pores not completely filled you still get a very durable finish and a softer look.
Thanks everyone, I put the final coat of satin on last night. Used a paint pad with long strokes and it came out great. No dust nibs still some pore showing, looks great. I think I will stop while I am ahead. I now have 4 coats of gloss and 1 coat of satin. Now to let it set for a while. In the mean time my house sold so I get to move 1000 miles north to Montana. I will finely get my dream shop, 45' x 50' with attic trusses. I just hope at 65 it is not too late to start a new adventure.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
Good on you - both finishing the table and especially the upcoming move. I like the Mammoth Lakes area, but I can understand the allure of MT, too. And 65 is irrelevant if you still love living. Where will your new home be?

John