Travling to Myrtle Beach SC
I am planning to spend some time in Myrtle Beach SC next January.

Any suggestions for woodworking/hand tool/rust hunting spots to check out in that general area. Also any suggestions for must see attractions or good barbecue joints would be appreciated.
Smoothplane

" Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand!"
Homer Simpson
I always go to Bennets seafood. There are a few. Calabash style and I like crab legs. If you want any rust hunting I bet you would be better served driving an hourish north toward Wilmington, NC. I have bought several decent things there. Never anything in Myrtle. There is a big "antique store" in Myrtle, it may be in North Myrtle I can't remember. They are waaaaaay overpriced. Like a #8 with no iron or tote for $100 a couple years ago.
Myrtle is pretty touristy if you like that sort.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
In January, you'll find Myrtle Beach pretty much shut down. It is built on the Summer tourust trade and most of the restaurants, attractions, etc. close or scale way back in the winter. Recently the Chamber of Commerce has been working on attracting winter conventions and business clientele, so maybe there's more going on there in recent years.

My favorite Myrtle Beach restaurant is Umberto's Pittsburg Italian Restaurant at Barefoot Landing. Really good, fresh Italian food. For seafood, The Sea Captain's Table is a traditional favorite. It's been there on the beach for years and serves traditional seafood - fried/broiled shrimp, oysters, fish, crabs, etc. It's geared to the summer crowd, so it's pretty informal. For really good seafood, drive South 15 miles or so to Murrell's Inlet. They cater to the fishing crowd and you'll find half dozen really good seafood restaurants there. I used to work a lot in Myrtle Beach, year round, but I haven't been there in a while. I suggest you chech Trip Advisor.com for more current restaurant recommendations.

If you find a decent tool in Myrtle Beach, it fell off a truck from Ohio. Don't waste your time looking for tools or woodworking attractions in Myrtle Beach. There aren't any.

Hank
Myrtle Beach is all about golf and surfing, and the so called flea markets are just junk shops with flip flops and cheap jewelry. Nothing there of interest to most of us.
Hank Knight in SC said:

In January, you'll find Myrtle Beach pretty much shut down. It is built on the Summer tourust trade and most of the restaurants, attractions, etc. close or scale way back in the winter.

That makes it the best time to go...Bennets will be open...no lines...no traffic....
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
If you have time for a day trip about 90 minutes south, you are welcome to stop by my shop. I am down sizing a life time tool collection (several hundred items). There is a wonderful barbecue joint in Santee SC called the Lone star barbecue and mercantile. The food is good and it is like a trip back in time to the 1930's. Hope you enjoy the trip
Is that an open invitation?

We will be staying in Manning on the way home from Tampa later this month,

Of course, LOML is traveling with me, so someone might veto the detour.