Accessories for Stanlet 45
I picked up a Stanley 45 this past weekend. It is in pretty good shape, all parts appear to be present.

Two quick questions

1, are there additional blades that can be used with this plane, and if so, where can i get some?

2, can the depth shoe be bent to be straightened?

Thanks, played with it a bit and it works well!

Roger
You might try St.James Bay Tool Company

They have a lot of Stanley reproduction parts.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
go here for an overview of the 45 plane

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan6.htm
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Which depth stop? One's a casting, the other's steel. The steel one would be easier to straighten.

Posting a picture would help.
Bill_Houghton said:

Which depth stop? One's a casting, the other's steel. The steel one would be easier to straighten.

Posting a picture would help.

The cast one is not a depth stop. It is the beading fence to be used when adding a bead to a tongued board (match boards). It is intended to be used in place of the standard fence. When installed on the left side it snaps over the moveable shoe/skate and will fence against the shoulder of the tongue.

You continue to use the regular depth stop on the right side to gauge the bead depth.

There is also what looks like a second 2-piece depth stop, a steel shoe with a perpendicular rod. Not primarily intended as a depth stop. Its intended purpose is to help stabilize the plane when working far into the width of a board (beads, reeds, dados, etc). It also fits into the hole in left hand shoe/skate. But it can be used as a depth stop if the 45 is configured for right-hand fencing such as you might do if making sash. And it can be used as a "training wheel" if you have a tendency to tip the plane on narrow stock. Set it to the same depth as the regular depth stop. Now it hits on the same side as the fence and makes it more difficult to lean over to the left, accidentally cutting deeper and at a funny angle.

(edited to add photos)
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Make sure you get a 1/8" cutter. The #45 excels at cutting small grooves and most ww projects need a 1/8" groove or two somewhere. Good luck with your new plane.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I have been able to find some on ebay but they tend to be a little pricey. Also, I am quite sure some of the Record cutters will work. I usually only use mine as a plow plane so I would look for those cutters first. I have not done a lot with molding but I have bought hollows and round and other wood molding planes instead of cutters for the 45. Just like them better.
Check with LV, the blades for their plow plane also fit the Stanley 45 also. I have contacted them. I happen to own a 45 and a 55 and all the blades are interchangable.
"The Veritas® small plow plane blades will fit the Stanley 45 but our blades are shorter which means they’ll have a shorter life expectancy."
Received from LV Customer Service 11/9/2013.

The blades for the LV plow fit a 78 duplex rabbet? How can that be, when the 78 uses grooves on the back of the blade to fit the adjuster, while the 45/55/LV plow use a notch on one side?
Bill, you are correct, my mistake. I edited my post to reflect the correct information.

I am sorry for the error.
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green