Groove on a curved edge
I am making frame and panel doors for a cabinet, and have a divider in the middle of the frame that has a curved edge in which the panel will be going (i.e., there will be two panels per door). I figure I can make the groove in the divider with a router with a bearing bit and a slot cutter - but was wondering if there is a way to do it with handtools. Any ideas on a handtool approach to this?
Coach makers had planes designed for that task. Source???????
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Which way does it curve? If convex, you might be able to use a plow plane and just follow the curve (I've never tried this, just speculatin').

If concave, use a marking gauge to scribe deep lines on each side of the groove location, then chisel it out. A nail driven into a board to the design depth will help you know when you're done. As always when using a plane or chisel, observe and honor the grain direction. You could equally use this on a convex curve, if the plow idea doesn't work.
I would use an old Preston quirk router or a beading plane. Stanley #66 came with a routing cutter for this purpose.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Thanks folks - sounds like in most cases I would need to buy a pretty special purpose tool - although the chisel idea is good too (the center pieces are concave curved). I might just use the slot cutter with router than risk it with the chisel.
Roy has an episode where he is making a door for a corner cabinet. It has the tombstone design panels. He used a marking gauge and a sash mortise chisel. I have done it on one door and it is not that hard to do. The sash mortise chisel is basically a longish mortise chisel.
Similar??

I was thinking make a scratch stock to do both groove, and face detail. Make it truly a one of.

But of course if it were me I'd rout it off a pin, on a bearing guided bit, before assembly

There is a time to toil, and a time to just get er dun.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Zalsa said:

I am making frame and panel doors for a cabinet, and have a divider in the middle of the frame that has a curved edge in which the panel will be going (i.e., there will be two panels per door). I figure I can make the groove in the divider with a router with a bearing bit and a slot cutter - but was wondering if there is a way to do it with handtools. Any ideas on a handtool approach to this?

Hi Zalsa

I shall be doing this soon in the form of grooves along drawer fronts, where the drawer fronts all curve.

I was considering a cooper's croze. However this really needs the curve to be constant, and the curve I have is more parabolic.

For this reason, I shall need to score the outer lines deeply, chisel out some of the waste, and then use a router plane (with a small footprint) to take it to depth.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Scoony said:

Roy has an episode where he is making a door for a corner cabinet. It has the tombstone design panels. He used a marking gauge and a sash mortise chisel. I have done it on one door and it is not that hard to do. The sash mortise chisel is basically a longish mortise chisel.

I used a similar method for frame-and-panel before I had a plow plane. Scribe with a mortise gauge, cut out with a chisel. Instead of chopping it out like it was a really long mortise, I was able to save a little time by deepening the lines with a utility knife and then using a mallet and chisel to gouge out shavings. It still felt kind of slow to me, but I proved to myself that I could make the method work for short, one-off pieces.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
If you have a marking gauge that allows deep scores, helps a lot. I was able to cut out the groove for the top of an arched door rather quickly.