Paint
What is the best interior paint for walls and ceiling ?
I keep hearing good things about BM Advance but haven't used it. I used some SW SOLO awhile back and liked it a lot.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
My opinion of a good wall paint is one that has excellent coverage and is thick enough to where it doesn't throw a paint mist all over everything while moving the roller at a good speed. Of course price is an issue for me as well. There are paints out there for $22-25 a gallon that are definitely good enough vs the $40-50 a gallon paints. These are the paints I've always tried to buy for walls.

I'm using Ben Moore Ultra Spec 500 for my interior walls right now. It's $22 a gallon and it's a very good paint for the money. I'm using a flat sheen even though I used and preached eggshell for many years. Eggshell will lightly wash better than flat but I've yet to see a traditional wall paint that was truly scrubable without showing some kind of witness mark. Flat paints touch up and blend better when doing a small mark or two. They also hide wall defects better and emit less glare, which I prefer. If I had big dogs, toddlers, or a very small house, I would probably lean back towards eggshell again.

I've never understood spending $40+ a gallon on interior paint for drywall. Odds are, you will want a different color before the paint wears out. Interior wall paint does very little for protection and water marks will still show on most interior acrylic paints, IME. I do believe in buying the best coatings for wood trim and cabinetry but I think many over spend when buying wall paint. Just my opinions. 13 years ago I painted a new construction Mexican restaurant and used a bright orange color for the walls. They had a budget and I needed to make it work. For around $8 a gallon, I bought Wal Marts Color Place interior wall paint. I'd read it was a lower line Sherwin paint. Although I used an airless to apply it, it turned out very well and I must admit I was quite impressed for the money. I wouldn't buy it to brush and roll in my own home though.

JR1 said:

I keep hearing good things about BM Advance but haven't used it. I used some SW SOLO awhile back and liked it a lot.

Advance is a very hard waterborne/alkyd enamel designed for high wear surfaces like wood trim and cabinetry. It's a $50 a gallon with my discount; probably $60 for Joe Public. I would consider using it on the walls of a pantry if using it on the shelfs as well. Maybe the walls of a highly used small closet as well. I wouldn't use it on the walls in any other room in my home though. I don't know why one would unless it was a commercial setting. If I really needed a more wear resistant wall covering, I'd use FRP board, tile, or an enameled wainscoting.

I was a professional painter for a while. The Benjamin Moore Regal, with eggshell sheen the the best interior paint I have ever used. It has a longer open working time which allows you to really lay it off nicely with a roller and does not leave brush strokes when cutting in. It just performs so much better than anything else I have tried and is worth the extra $$. For ceilings I use Behr ceiling paint. There is no sense in spending the extra $$ for BM on the ceilings.
BM is a good fall-back standard. After a horrible experience with Sears paint----I now will only buy what is recommended by Consumer Reports----which has switched their recommendations a number of times in the last 10-15 years--based on ease of application, coverage and durability.

In general, I think eggshell is a good sheen for walls---and much easier to clean than flat.

As to changing colors before the last paint job wears out----just depends on whether you're asking the spouse who will be doing the bulk of the work.
Dave
Thanks everybody for all the great info.