always a reason to procrastinate -- shed edition
I have to draw a map of my yard/house/shed in order to get a zoning permit. I'm pretty sure I know where the property lines are, but not positive.

I mostly just posted this to gather enough ridicule to motivate me to just do it.
Just build it without one, easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.....
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
we have a small drainage ditch between our place and the neighbors. The previous owner insisted that the property line was where the fence was (fence was there when both moved in). They had it checked and the line is on the other side of the ditch....which means the irrigation head that the former owner put in is on the neighbors property....they left the fence where it was and I haven't said anything to the new neighbor about it.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

I had the site prep done for the shed assuming that the row of trees between the property was on our side. I know the trees were planted by a previous owner of our house and that the next door neighbor was there when they were planted -- he hates them with a passion. We have a 15' setback in the sideyard, so that gives me plenty of room. Now that it's too late, I'm starting to wonder about my assumptions. Fortunately, a shed only has to have 6' setback, but it's going to be close
before my previous neighbor moved out, with their permission, I extended the fence between us (which is about 4' on their property) to further enclose our property so that my wife's horses could be easily contained when they escape their pastures. I used old T-Posts and old no-climb fencing to make it look like it had been there a while.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

I hope my neighbor doesn't figure out that the trees are on his side of the line, if they are. I suspect he would miss them if they were gone.

I just went out and measured. The trees are 25' from the house. They must be right on the property line, which is a jerk thing to do in any case.
fredhargis said:

Just build it without one, easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.....

Yep. And around here they will forgive you as soon as you tear it down and pay the fine. Some townships can be real A-holes.

Twinn
Will post for food.
Here is what I pondered a few months ago. I ended up getting a survey because I did not have one and I did not know where the property lines were.

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads...4760&Forum=,f3,&Words=&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Main=6894760&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=77728&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post6894760
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
I remember your thread about the survey. I'd certainly rather not go to that expense if I don't have to do so. Pretty sure I have plenty of room, these lots are not rectangular, and it gets larger away from the street.

Edited to add: one of my neighbors (on the wrong side, of course) has maintained the survey markers on one side of my lot. He was here when the subdivision was built, and mentioned recently that they had re-surveyed back then. I assume that means it will not be that hard or expensive to get a survey done. I think that my neighbor on the shed side has a fence built on the property line, I'll have to ask him.
If a survey was done recently then it may be on file at your county clerks office or where ever they keep property records. Mine was not mostly because it is an old house and there never any housing developments done in the immediate vicinity for quite some time.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".