string trimmer will not start, rope doesn't turn motor over
I swear it knows I hate it.

I have a Poulan string trimmer. I tried starting it for a while yesterday, and when I was done it was obvious that the motor wasn't being turned over. I suspect the no-start problem was gas delivery related, but now I can't get it started in any event. Is that something easy, or should I just give up and let the shop handle it? Or get an electric?
If the piston isn't turning over when you pull the starter cord then the pawl(s) from starter assembly aren't engaging on the shaft. There might be a single pawl, or multiple ones. They could be broken, especially if it's only one, or they could be gunked up with dirt and not extending out when you pull the rope. Take the starter assembly off and have a look. It should come off as one unit, held on with 3 or 4 bolts. When you've got it off turn it over and look at the insides as you pull the rope. You should see the pawls extend out as you pull the rope. If you don't, maybe they are just dirty - you can blow it all out with compressed air. Or maybe they are broken, which should be pretty obvious. If everything in the starter assembly looks OK then the other possibility is the thing the pawls engage into could be stripped or worn. That could be a definite possibility of it's a plastic part.

Most problems of this nature are easy to find. Parts are available on-line, too, from several places, or the dealer.

After the starter is fixed, if it won't start and run you probably have a fuel or carb issue. If the gas in it is old dump it out and put in fresh mix, and check to make sure the spark plug isn't fouled with fuel. If it still won't start, it's time to tear the carb apart and replace the filter, needle, and diaphrams, or buy a new carb., or buy a new trimmer.

John
It wouldn't start earlier this year because the fuel filter in the tank was not letting in fuel. I am not sure why it has gotten progressively harder to start this year, but I figure it's something related to fuel. Right after I replaced the fuel filter in the spring, it started right up, but when I started it last weekend it took more pulls than I was happy with.

Going to go take the starter off right now

On edit: pawls are fine, it's the "gear" they push on that is toast. It's actually the plastic reel for the line. Not sure how hard it is to get that part, going to look that up now.
I had a similar problem with a 4 stroke motor; the plastic part the pawls engage got all stripped. You should check to make sure the pawls are retracting properly, or something else isn't wrong, because that part should not strip. I can't remember the exact circumstances with my motor, but it involved something with the shroud that got out of alignment and it ruined a new part in about 30 seconds. The second time I changed it I found out what the problem was all along. So don't just change the part - take a good look at what the underlying issue is causing the problem.

Bad fuel is a huge issue with 2 cycle engines. Your plugged up fuel filter suggests you had fuel in it that went bad. A little water plus a little time = gelled fuel unless you use stabilizer. I always use Stabil in my gas and haven't had a problem since doing so. I also dump out the fuel and run the motor dry if I'm not going to use the machine for more than a couple of weeks. That stopped most every carburetor problem I had. With my weed wacker I do that only at the end of the mowing season since I use it every week. It's at least 10 years old now and always starts on 3 or 4 pulls. Echo - great trimmer.

John
the pawls were free to move, and looked fine. But I'll definitely check it over. I got this trimmer from my dad, I think it's just a case of old age. In retrospect, I now recognize that one of the teeth was gone, and the resulting intermittent starting probably was bad for the remaining teeth. Part is $10. Looks like it's pretty common

As far as gelled fuel, I'm definitely guilty of abuse in the past, but I've been very careful this year -- I usually just run it dry, and the fuel is fairly fresh. I don't know if there is some crap left over or not. Air filter looks good. Maybe I should get new fuel.
I make small batches of fuel, keep it in a sealed plastic gas can, and never use it in my 2 strokes if it's more than a month old. If I have any left after a month I put it in my lawn mower, maybe 1/3 to 2/3's regular gas. I had quite a few cases similar to yours when I treated 2 strokes like 4 strokes, but after I got religion no more.

John
I was wondering about putting the oil into a 4 stroke, I assume it just causes a little extra smoke
I've run lots of four strokes on two cycle gas before. Works fine, no smoke. It's expensive....

Can't do it the other way though, the two strokes need oil in the gas. Found that out this weekend.
Mike

Non impediti ratione cogitationis
It sounds as though there are at least two problems with the machine that need fixing. This advice goes against the primal instinct of most on this forum (including my own) but considering the expense and aggravation of fixing it vs. the cost of a new one, you are probably better off trashing it and starting over.
A retirement dedicated to fine woodworking and bad golf.
so funny, I just ordered the part. I figure for $10 I can't trash it. I suspect I cooked the gas since I have been carrying it back and forth in my car. We'll see when I get it back together. It did run fine a week ago.