Drill press with flair
Interesting drill press acquisition yesterday, friction-drive variable speed made by Albany Hardware Specialty Manufacturing Co. of Albany, WI, circa 1910 or so. I got it from a guy who runs a vintage car restoration shop, who picked it up when he bought out the contents of an old barn in order to pick up a 1928 Hudson that was stored there. Apparently, this drill press had been sitting in the barn unused for the better part of 50 years. I didn't know exactly what it was when I went to pick it up, but was able to figure it out once I got home and started doing some research.

Fair bit of work ahead to get it running, including how to retrofit a motor mount for something that was designed to run off a line shaft system. But that variable speed half-dome drive assembly is just so slick.

Right side.

Left side.

Front view.

Rear view.

Bill
Know, think, choose, do -- Ender's Shadow
Interesting find! Does it have 37 pieces of flair?
"I'm glad being trapped in the woods hunted by an insane militia made you ask the big life questions."

Check out my Project Blog
What a great old piece of tooling. Good luck getting it going!
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
Kinda steam punk before steam punk was popular. Cool find.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
That is really neat. I am really looking forward to how you do the rehab.

Thank you for posting it.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Whoa man! That thing is both retro & futuristic at the same time. Kinda looks like some kind of old time torture device.

Post pics if you're going to restore it. That thing belongs in a museum of tools or some place like that.
Neat.
Now that is cool. Maybe you need your own line shaft.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

I would mount the motor and the machine on a platform or metal plate so the motor would not me attached to the machine by anything more than the belt. My Crescent BS is that way with the exception of the motor controls. Yet with yours even those could be dealt with without modifying the tool
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Ruler2112 said:

Interesting find! Does it have 37 pieces of flair?

I only see 36...
Benny