Dent Removal
I am such a klutz much of the time. Trying to do things too quickly .. knocking over parts, or even a completed piece. Don't you hate it when you do this, and dent an edge?

Step #1: wet the section (or not - not as important as the next step, but this wood is hard) ...

Step #2: use a wet cloth and a hot iron (I have my own, discarded from the house, and kept in the workshop) to steam the dent out ...

Step #3: a light scraping and there is little evidence of the insult ..

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I did the same thing and used the exact same method to get rid of an impact depression in a table top. Worked great for me.

Nice job on your repair...Tom
A timely post.
I was just looking at a Paul Sellers video on the same subject.
He did not address outer edge nicks directly, where most of mine occur.
Thank you for your post!
Ag
this could not have come at a better time... I'll try this on a recent bump of my own.
thanks
Pat
Nice fix can't tell there was a dent.
Old gunsmiths trick for rehabbing stocks. Works for nearly any wood and any form of woodworking. Nice reminder.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
I use a bit different method. I use a thick rag, wet just the tip, and heat just a small spot right over the dent using a Wen 300 watt soldering iron. Works fast.
Has anyone tried this on............ siding? I have a dent , and I mean
a palm sized dent on an exterior wall of my wood shop. It is not a big deal, has been there for years now. But I might just try this one day.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
I've used this technique to improve surplus M14 stocks. Works great.
Mike

Funny on occasion, embarrassing on average.
That is certainly ready for a TV commercial selling "dent removal" irons for woodworkers. Have you applied for the patent?
excellent results. thanks for posting.
that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you...
1 Thessalonians 4:11

my blog - thechristiantoolcabinet.wordpress.com