Shop lighting
I know there are many different opinions about shop lighting. Long flourescents are probably the best but I already have 9 ceiling sockets in my shop that is 16'x18'

I am not looking to reinvent the wheel just looking for any information that any of you wish to share about LED screw in bulbs, or what you have found to be the best screw in light bulbs for the shop.
Grant

"GO BUCKEYES"
What I am replacing the CF with are high CRI high lumen LEDs. I am using some remote controlled one although the good ones are pricy. Aside from major brands like litepannels, Zylight etc. they are not that good.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
I know you said you wanted screw ins, but the T-5 HO bulbs are very high intensity, and economical to run. I am very happy with my 8' x 4 bulb units from home depot.

Roger
I don't think you're going to end up with even close to the amount of lumens you'd get from fluorescent fixtures compared to putting any kind of lights in your sockets. I'd do some electrical work (pretty straightforward) to remove the sockets and tie fluorescent shop lights together. My 3-car garage has 10 4-light 48" fluorescent fixtures. You really do want more light in your shop than you do in your living room.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I agree with Allan. It would be worth the effort to use fluorescent fixtures. My shop is 24' x 24' and I have (10) 8' two lamp fluorescent fixtures. I work in the evenings a lot and it's nice to be lit up like a donut shop!

Lonnie
I'd go with led strip or ribbon. If I wanted to avoid taking out the current sockets I'd go pick up the outlet adapters that screw in to the light socket and plug a quality led strip or ribbon into that. Led's are a bit more expensive up front right now than flourescent tubes but much cheaper in the long run and the better quality ones last longer and maintain the quality of light longer.
My shop is similar in size (16 x 20) and I have nine 4 foot x 4 tube fluorescents and it is not too much. Unless you are in a hurry, you might watch for sales on fixtures that include the LED tubes. Sometimes they go on sale pretty cheaply.
The 8' 4 bulb T-5 HO units i have each put out over 20,000 lumens. Check out the lumen ratings on any unit you buy.
When I researched LED Edison based replacements the Cree 18-watt (100w) Daylight were the best available, likely that has changed. They put out 1600 lumens each so 9 would be marginal for a shop that size. The reason that I buy fixture is that single LED bulbs are inadequate except as task lighting. What I use3 for shop lighting are two Switronix Torch LED Bolt 220R as they provide the best bang for the buck. I supplement them with CF and LED task lights. I use the remote to adjust the brightness as they are too bright for some things.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
I put in two of those $45.00 LED fixtures from the BORG that look like Flourescent fixtures. I was surprised at how much light the produce and the quality of light is good. Each has two rows of LEDS. The down side is if something fails nothing is serviceable you lose the whole fixture