Shop lighting
I am using these and I am happy with them. However, I am using them for task lighting, which is different.

I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
gad5264 said:

I am not looking to reinvent the wheel just looking for any information that any of you wish to share about LED screw in bulbs, or what you have found to be the best screw in light bulbs for the shop.

YOU REALLY didn't expect this to happen, did you?
I have found how much a boat is used is inversely related to how much it weighs.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight kayaks

Kudzu said:

[blockquote]gad5264 said:

I am not looking to reinvent the wheel just looking for any information that any of you wish to share about LED screw in bulbs, or what you have found to be the best screw in light bulbs for the shop.

YOU REALLY didn't expect this to happen, did you?

[/blockquote]

Kudzu, I have been around here long enough to know what to sometimes expect when asking for advice.
Grant

"GO BUCKEYES"
Funny---I just read this article in WoodCraft Magazine on shop lighting. It was about these new LED fixtures that gave out bright light and placed right were excellent for both general and task lighting----then I got to the end of the article with the cost----just under $400 per 4 ft. box.

I think it would take a long time and thousands of florescent bulbs before I ever could justify that.

I did see an interesting piece on Ask This Old house where they set up track lighting with a variety of LED, adjustable fixtures---didn't give prices, but maybe worth a look.
Dave
16 x 18 = 288 sq ft. Woodworking, you want pretty high foot candles, like a kitchen at around 70 foot candles. 70 x 288 = 20,160 lumens needed.

LED bulb I am looking at is 60w equivalent, 800 lumens. 800 x 9 = 7200 lumens, about 1/3 of what you need. Might be OK, but my old eyes need more.

You may get by with using some of the LED in your fixtures, with task lighting as supplement.

I buy whatever LED I can find on sale - Lowes and Ikea have been good sources for me, under $4.50 a bulb.
It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. - Voltaire
Know what, Bob? You win. CharlieD, 4/21/2008
I salute you. Hail MGoBlue! Hail MGoBlue! Hail MGoBlue!!!! CRR, 2/19/2008
How many lumens do you have in your shop, right now? If it is 6,000, then the LED screw-ins will work very well for you. If it is 10,000 lumens, then don't waste the money on the screw-ins, buy new fixtures.
MikeSmith said:

How many lumens do you have in your shop, right now? If it is 6,000, then the LED screw-ins will work very well for you. If it is 10,000 lumens, then don't waste the money on the screw-ins, buy new fixtures.

IMO, it's not so much what he has now, but what he needs. Take a look at most office and classroom spaces. Count the number of light fixtures per square feet of floor space. It's quite a bit. There's no need to suffer from poor lighting. It will help in nearly all phases of woodworking, especially sanding and finishing.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill