When an old, wrinkled Warranted Superior ain't too bad...
Well it's been quite a while since I posted any saws on here but really wanted to share this one.

I pulled the trigger on a buy-it-now on a group of old saws mainly because of the one pictured on the right and the back saw didn't look to bad either. Not a true gloatable price but not bad for the group.

Even though it was a Warranted Superior medallion, I still liked the fact that they were the Dec. 21, 1869 Munger patent split nut variety and the apple handle was the same Holden patent that was used on the Wheeler, Madden & Clemson No.999 (shown right below) that I cleaned up and sharpened for a gentleman a few years ago. The only difference is, this one is let-in and the other stood proud of the back.

Ya' gotta love the style of this old handle, with the hounds teeth on the top and bottom, the thumb grip cut out and the lambs tongue combination. A pretty high quality handle not usually found on second line saws.

I'm pretty sure the saw was made by Wheeler, Madden & Clemson sometime in the 1880 period. While the wording in the diamond etch was very hard to make out, I finally was able to see Genuine, Black Diamond Saw, Cast Steel, Warranted. I'm wondering if the "Black Diamond" was originally a brand of W,M &C before Disston bought them and eventually formed the National Saw Company. The No. 405 Black Diamond Saw Co. brand shows up in the Disston 1914 catalog.

The blade is 28" long with a coarse 4ppi not often found on too many American made saws. It also has graduated teeth down to 4 1/2ppi at the point. Not your typical 1 more ppi per inch but not bad for a second line that usually has no graduated teeth at all. The taper grind is good too with .018" at the back of the point, .030" in the middle of the back, .034" where it enters the handle and .041" at the edge.

I really like the heavy finish on the edges that has become wrinkled with time but overall this old gem cleaned up pretty well.

Take care,
Daryl
I absolutely love your restoration threads, Daryl. I've done quite a few myself now, and I'm getting better, but then I see your work and sigh...

Don't worry, you aren't depressing me, you are inspiring me.

Love the handle. Neat old nuts, I haven't found any like that yet.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Nice

I agree wholeheartedly. And the fact that the saw is a WS makes it that much cooler.
Wow, Daryl, you are a magician! Wonderful save and a beautiful restoration.
Very
Wizardry.
I've been looking at a saw in a second hand shop which has the same medallion and split nuts. Clearly, a very old saw. The curiosity is that the split nuts are on the "front" of the handle and the medallion on the "back". The medallion is nicely set into the handle and the split nuts are flush. Is this reversal of nuts and medallion seen - does it indicate a saw company - does it indicate "home made" or anything else. Thanks.
bandsaw said:

The curiosity is that the split nuts are on the "front" of the handle and the medallion on the "back".

A "left handed" saw, perhaps??

I only say this because the "front" of the saw is only the "front" if you are right handed in using the saw.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
That is beautiful work. Old and wrinkled in my hands never seems to turn out looking so good.