New Yankee Workshop Videos - PSA
Awesome. Thanks. I watched the breakfront cabinet over breakfast.

Only Norm can make dovetail drawers out of MDF and make you say, "That looks good. I should try that"
AgGEM said:

I happily admit that everything I wanted to build, every tool I selected, every process I undertook, was strongly influenced by Norm and the NYW. As I have evolved, my projects, tools, and processes have evolved too.

But I would have never known how to get started without him.
Ag

I think he had a tremendous impact on many of us who are into woodworking now. I also think he contributed greatly to the bottom line of a number of tool and equipment manufacturers. DAMHIK
AgGEM said:

[blockquote]Mark A Smith said:

This season is very interesting for a number of reasons. One is seeing the relative lack of equipment Norm works with that many of us take for granted. In many ways that was good because in later years you might think to build anything you needed a $5,000 workshop (or more).

I hope to remember to watch each week. Thanks for the heads up.

I happily admit that everything I wanted to build, every tool I selected, every process I undertook, was strongly influenced by Norm and the NYW. As I have evolved, my projects, tools, and processes have evolved too.

But I would have never known how to get started without him.
Ag

[/blockquote]

My feelings exactly!
Frank
The biggest thing I thank Norm for was giving me confidence, showing me that I could take on more sophisticated projects and taking the intimidation out of it. Also, by being able to watch the process week after week I learned that the real key to the hobby was to just take my time and enjoy the process more than the results.
There are two kinds of people: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring - Carl Sagan
Norm was the best, IMHO! Never would've gotten this deep into the hobby without watching his shows; still miss him.

He had that special knack of being able to both build and explain effectively at the same time.

Doug
Same here. I owe Norm a big thanks.
Tapper said:

Norm was the best, IMHO! Never would've gotten this deep into the hobby without watching his shows; still miss him.

He had that special knack of being able to both build and explain effectively at the same time.

Doug

I think this is what a lot of his critics miss. Was Norm the most talented fine woodworker on TV? No. But between He and Russell Morash they explained, showed us and made us feel it wasn't so mysterious after all and we could do it. And yeah, buying the gadgets he demoed wouldn't hurt either Kept Delta $ flowing for years.
Without a doubt he sure took the mystery out of wood working. He did so many ways of doing the same thing. Of course him gaining tools did inspire me to buy more.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
I love Norm, and just watched the medicine cabinet...but I held my breath as he cut those tenon cheeks freehand on the table saw
spirit_of_ny said:

I love Norm, and just watched the medicine cabinet...but I held my breath as he cut those tenon cheeks freehand on the table saw

I was thinking the SAME thing.
Benny