Have you ever seen a plane like this?

I think this is a Defiance #7. According to Sellens it is as the length is 21" and the iron is 2-1/4" wide. And it has the side profile of a Gage. But Sellens makes no mention of the frog with the off-set depth adjustment.

Anybody know more about Defiance planes?
Troy
Hey Troy,

I can't help identify the plane, but you should bring it with you when you go to Manchester.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Well, I'm not sure about the body or the offset adjuster, but the iron is a Type 3 or 4 Stanley, dating 1872-1873. Stanley didn't start casting the plane number into the body until Type 5's in 1885.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Bailey Tool Co. Defiance plane.

Very desirable plane, worth a lot of money.
SteveF said:

Bailey Tool Co. Defiance plane.

Very desirable plane, worth a lot of money.

What Steve said. Bailey Tool Co. of Woonsocket, RI. This is not Leonard Bailey of Stanley fame, it's a different Bailey. The frog is a worm-drive design and is the most precise frog ever made in terms of blade movement related to adjuster wheel movement. These are desirable planes for collectors, especially the ones with the embossed lever caps. They usually sell in the several hundred dollar range. This one has an incorrect blade. If the cap iron is incorrect it might not adjust properly which would affect value.
www.hyperkitten.com Funny Name, Good Stuff.

Old Tools, Woodworking, Blog, Tools for Sale.

I wonder why it didn't catch on, given that the frog was much more precise. I assume precise in terms of backlash or rather the lack of it?
I agree with Bailey Tool Co. Defiance plane, but I think the cap has been replaced. Typically a Bailey tool has the name on it.

timetestedtools said:

I agree with Bailey Tool Co. Defiance plane, but I think the cap has been replaced. Typically a Bailey tool has the name on it.

The No.4 I found earlier this year had a lever cap that looked like the original poster's.
SteveF said:

The No.4 I found earlier this year had a lever cap that looked like the original poster's.

PTMPIA shows one with a cap without the logo like the OP as well. Excellent finds!