Lee Valley's new miter plane
I don't think they posted this under what's new but I came across it on the back cover of the new catalog which is now online.

I'm interested as it seems to suit the work I do.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.as...&cat=1,230,41182,52515
From a practical application standpoint, what's the difference between this plane and the Veritas shooting plane. Seems they both do the same task, the miter plane perhaps being more versatile while the shooting plane has the skewed blade.
Looks interesting. You are right that the miter plane is more versatile while the shooting plane is pretty much confined to the shooting board, and I think it will fare better with pure end grain tasks.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
I like the size of the miter plane as I shoot a lot of smaller pieces and my bench is small.

Shooting plane 16" - miter plane - 10 1/2"
I find it interesting that Veritas introduces a miter plane in the same year that Lie-Nielsen took theirs out of production...and they both have shooting board planes.
Gawd, just when I'd concluded I had enough LV tools to keep me happy for life, they have to go and do this. Dammit, Rob!
I remember seeing that plane in Amana (Woodworks). It was a preproduction version.
It's a tad more expensive than the shooting plane, with a larger width blade (2-5/8" vs. 2-1/4"). I wonder what would make you want the miter plane vs. the shooting plane? If you had neither, which would you get?
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Shooting plane 16" long with 2 1/4 blade

Miter plane 10 1/2 long with 2" blade

I'd want the smaller miter plane

Wonder why the miter plane costs more
Help this rookie- It is called a miter plane but is in reality a short shooting plane?
Is a miter plane just for shooting miters?
Sorry, I am confused due to lack of knowledge and experience.

Thanks