Tell me about bottle stoppers
I have a few questions about these, if you guys don't mind.
1. Are the kits all pretty much the same, except for the finish, etc?
2. Do they use different sized pieces of wood, or are they universal in the size needed to make them?
3. Anyone got any advice for turning these?
4. Will I need a special mandrel to turn these?
5. Any other specialty tools needed to make these?
6. What's the average size for a piece of wood to make these with?
7. Do these fit most bottles, or are there different sizes for them?
8. Is there any videos on Youtube on how to turn these that are better than others?

That's all I got for now. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Is this a test?
Steve K

IMHO, Ruth Niles makes the best stoppers. Here's her how to page:

Ruth Niles How To

She makes an awesome mandrel if you want to spend the $. Works great with her threaded stoppers.
I agree with Frank she has everything you need to make them.

Most people use 2x2x2 pieces of wood and some use a mandrel but I do not. I just drill the hole 1/8" smaller then the threads then put it between centers.

When the shape is almost done I put it on a bolt held my a chuck and finish the top.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

I have a few questions about these, if you guys don't mind.
1. Are the kits all pretty much the same, except for the finish, etc?

Kits are generally either cork+a dowel or the metal kits. The metal kits will vary using either rubber or plastic as the seal. IMO, the rubber ones are better.

2. Do they use different sized pieces of wood, or are they universal in the size needed to make them?

The wood blanks can be any size you want, but all the kits I've worked with need a 3/8" hole bored for the screw on the kit itself. It's also more pleasing to the eye of the wood is at least as large or larger in diameter as the collar on the kit.

3. Anyone got any advice for turning these?
4. Will I need a special mandrel to turn these?

I use a 3/8 bolt in a drill chuck in the headstock, so IMO, no.

5. Any other specialty tools needed to make these?
No, or at least I don't use any.

6. What's the average size for a piece of wood to make these with?
YMMV, I cut my blanks no smaller than 1.5" square. Larger blanks just mean a little more to turn off.

7. Do these fit most bottles, or are there different sizes for them?
They fit most bottles.

8. Is there any videos on Youtube on how to turn these that are better than others?
No idea. I didn't watch any videos.
Crokett got it covered.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Herb,
For some reason, I can't seem to send you a PM. I have lots of information I'd like to share with you. Send me an email note so I can respond to your request. painesawdustd@aol.com

Dave
Sawdustd said:

Herb,
For some reason, I can't seem to send you a PM. I have lots of information I'd like to share with you. Send me an email note so I can respond to your request. painesawdustd@aol.com

Dave

I got them all at once today.
If you go here, http://ronbrownsbest.com/index.php?route...uct_id=130 , you'll find 50 bottle stopper design templates ($0.00) if you're like me and not of a creative mind.