Per Jacks suggestion
I just looked up Dixie Gun Works for mutton tallow

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_inf...71k32abr01

16oz for 5.75

I am looking forward to getting one and thought I would help others as well.

Works for planes and saws

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Here's Roy's link on making a "tallow pot"...

http://video.pbs.org/video/1425807116/
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Jack did tell me that a LITTLE dab will do and to much is not only not necessary but might get (sticky)?.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

The container is 16 oz. You really get more like 12 oz of mutton tallow by weight (see the reviews via the link below). Nevertheless, that's WAY cheaper per oz. than McQueen's mutton tallow, which is closer to $3.20/oz, compared to around $0.48/oz for the Dixie Gun Works' offering.

Arlin Eastman said:

I just looked up Dixie Gun Works for mutton tallow

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_inf...71k32abr01

16oz for 5.75

I am looking forward to getting one and thought I would help others as well.

Works for planes and saws

Arlin

Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Allan

I guess I do not understand. Isn't 16 oz, 16 oz? I am sure they are not going by weight. Please let me know if I am wrong.

Arlin

An ounce isn't an ounce when one is volume and the other is mass. A quart of gas might have a volume of 32 ounces but it doesn't weigh that.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Thank you.

I think I remember that Oil is lighter then water which is what everything is measured by.

No matter tho because it will be enough to last a life time.

Arlin

Arlin Eastman said:

Allan

I guess I do not understand. Isn't 16 oz, 16 oz? I am sure they are not going by weight. Please let me know if I am wrong.

Arlin

Arlin, there is ounces in weight and ounces in volume. It's not clear how much mutton tallow you're getting from Dixie. Dixie's link to the spec sheet doesn't work, but there are several reviews on the mutton tallow. Three of the reviews mention that the container is 16 oz volume, but it's not very full. Dixie clearly says it's sold in a 16 oz container, so I'm not debating that point. The real question is how much mutton tallow do you get? The pic on the website shows a reasonably full container. No reviewers complained about the quality of the product, and neither did I. Even if you get only 12 oz by volume, you are still getting a pretty good deal.

Just for completeness, one ounce in volume of mutton tallow is only 0.9 ounces in weight. So, even if the container is full to the brim, you're only going to get 14 oz in weight. And, if I am to believe at least one reviewer, who claimed she only got 12 oz by volume, it's still the best deal around for mutton tallow. At least for non-pharmaceutical mutton tallow. I suspect the reason it's so inexpensive is because it's not sold as a pharmaceutical, so they don't bother to have it tested for the purity required for topical skin use.

One more thing. I checked and Eko and McQueen's both sell their mutton tallow by weight, so Dixie's description of the container by volume without mentioning the weight is not consistent with the way at least two other makers sell the product.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I bought TWO one pint containers a few years ago from Dixie..I didn't weight it but it's alot of tallow for sure. It will be full when you receive it...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset