Saw kit feedback requested
Great idea, Dom!

It sounds just about right. Make the handle blanks with already cut blade slots, more is'nt necessary to keep the price sensible.

All other things a woodworker will be able to do himself, including the screw holes. The time consuming shaping of the handle up to the finishing all customers will be able to do themselves.

Make a good kit price - and you will get very buisy

Klaus
KlausK. said:

Great idea, Dom!

It sounds just about right. Make the handle blanks with already cut blade slots, more is'nt necessary to keep the price sensible.

All other things a woodworker will be able to do himself, including the screw holes. The time consuming shaping of the handle up to the finishing all customers will be able to do themselves.

Make a good kit price - and you will get very busy

Klaus

+1

The wrong kind of non-conformist.

http://www.norsewoodsmith.com
I really like the D-4 handle shape. It's simple and feels great in the hand.

And yes, ideally you'd want to offer three saws (dovetail, carcase, and tenon). If it wouldn't stretch you too much to make all of those available with three handle sizes, I think it would be best to have them all available at once.

Having the holes drilled in the metal and the handle slotted ahead of time would be a big selling point. Just include detailed instructions on how to bore and counter-bore the bolt holes, and you'll be in good shape.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Hi Steve,

it's very tricky to align the bolt holes into the handle if the blade has the holes already. It's way easier to make the holes into the blade according to the screw holes that are installed into the handle.

Klaus
KlausK. said:

Hi Steve,

it's very tricky to align the bolt holes into the handle if the blade has the holes already. It's way easier to make the holes into the blade according to the screw holes that are installed into the handle.

Klaus

Yes!!!! ++++ (See my previous post.)
Dom

I think that is a wonderful idea. I would LOVE to get all the parts of a saw to make it my own. I would need you to put the spline on the saw and the cutted slot in the handle.

I have thought of this and also envisioned placing the handle where it is comfortable for me on the plate.

What is the cost you are thinking of for each size or type?

Also for a panel saw for cross cut and rip cut would be most helpful too. I do not have either one and want one bad.

I would also suggest you ask if anyone has a piece of wood they have for a saw handle also. I know I have a few nice pieces of wood from our property I would want for a handle.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Thanks for the input everyone. We're looking into it more now. Just trying to determine what the "need" is. We'll probably start off small and work our way up to offering more choices.

I'll let you know which way we jump.
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
I would certainly go for an open handled dovetail saw.
Sierramtns said:

I would certainly go for an open handled dovetail saw.

Being one with the X LARGE mitts. I really like this thought. I've found even supposedly "large sized" when in a closed handle just doesn't allow enough room for my mitts. I'm ready today to order the XL open handle variant if you choose to go there.

Another thought is that through life us guys that are either smaller than the norm, or bigger, pay more for clothes, so if someone falls out of the parameters, I for one wouldn't mind a small upcharge for the "non typical sizing" if that could be done.

I find this saw has an awesome geometry, if it just had an extra inch or 2 at the bottom it would easily fit my fangers

I realize it is a well known saw, but for just the shape, geometry of the handle, but made traditionally I imagine this has existed for a long time on some saws. Another that some may embrace is the classic "Gents saw" configuration on a DT blade, or getting wilder here a backed pull saw. East meets West

Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Another customer here;
How about closed handle style even for dovetail and carcass saws like Disston, Kenyon, Tyzack?
And a paypal button

Cheers