Throw away your bench hook? And, square!
Last night I read C Schwarz' rant about bench hooks. He suggests all toss their hooks and use the guides God provided. [Paraphrased.]

There is some plausibility to a hook-free life. However, at some point the floor must be flat or the legs squared. Or, use three legs. I think wasting two or three chunks of wood during as many crosscuts is part of the woodworking ethic. If not square, a hook sure makes hand sawing a board a lot easier than having it locked between one's knees.
I took that as a bit of satire on his part, but may be wrong.
Holding a small piece of stock for cutting in a bench hook sure beats gripping it between my knees, in my teeth, etc.
Definitely satire... Not the first time, won't be the last

http://blog.lostartpress.com/2015/08/16/...-category/
Bartee ><>
mysaw.com/blog
It was satire.

He gets all kinds of crap about using a honing guide, I'm guessing that this is a response to it.

hbmcc said:

Last night I read C Schwarz' rant about bench hooks. He suggests all toss their hooks and use the guides God provided. [Paraphrased.]

There is some plausibility to a hook-free life. However, at some point the floor must be flat or the legs squared. Or, use three legs. I think wasting two or three chunks of wood during as many crosscuts is part of the woodworking ethic. If not square, a hook sure makes hand sawing a board a lot easier than having it locked between one's knees.

If you read the responses to the post he comments that it went over quite a few heads as satire. Another question is: Was The Anarchist's Tool Chest also just a satire?
Not easy to do good comedy. This one was funnier: frugal meets hipster
He's just stirring the pot to get a rise out of us. Sort of like the Donald Trump of handtool woodworking.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I opened up the link and have not a clue what they are talking about (satire?)

Is this a new term or work?

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Quote:

This basic sawing skill, taught to apprentices for centuries, is the foundation for a mountain of other skills, such as freehand knifing of parquetry, cutting tenons without scribe lines and full-blind (meaning blindfolded) dovetails.

This sentence alone should have tipped people off.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop