air compressor of turbine system
I'm getting close to finishing new shop project and need to decide on how to proceed with spraying. I've only "fooled around" with inexpensive spray guns due to small space, small compressor and the like. Now things will change with dedicated finishing area and good exhaust.
Choice seems to be a)purchase a turbine system and stick with small compressor for nail guns, blow off, etc... or b) install a 3hp compressor and deal with the water and other contaminants using filtration. I'm leaning toward compressed air, thinking there are many gun choices at various price points, rather than being committed to a turbine package.
Any sage advice for this novice spray finisher?
I find turbines a bit easier to use but you need to budget for a good one. The Earlex 5500 is the entry point and the Apollo and Fuji may be well worth the extra money.

The big advantage of the turbines are that they are easily portable. The disadvantage is that they are strictly HVLP.

The advantage of a compressor and separate guns is that you can get different guns relatively cheaply and spray more finishes. You can also run air tools etc. The disadvantage is that a good compressor and HVLP gun will usually cost you more than a comparable turbine system and they aren't very portable.

BTW what do you think that you need a 3HP compressor for? Are you running a cabinet shop?
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
You'll never get a turbine to atomize as well as a common conversion gun and traditional compressor. You'll never consistently achieve a smooth flat finish with a turbine as compared to a conversion gun.

If you buy a compressor anyway, just spend the 50 bucks and buy a cheap conversion gun and some cheap water/oil separators.. A 50 dollar conversion gun should finish better than a 300 dollar turbine gun every time.

I use an AccuSpray turbine and guns because I operate out of a van and I'm limited to 15 amps. I'm also subject to Gov't inspections. They know by looking at the turbine set-up that I'm HVLP and EPA compliant.

As limited as turbine equipment is, they're reliable. I've got around 4000 hours on my turbine with only routine filter changes. I've never got 4000 hours from a traditional compressor. I use conversion guns when working from home with a traditional compressor.

You can buy a compressor and several guns (The 2 Gun Husky set at HD or Grizzly is probably all you'll ever need) for less than a good turbine and one good turbine gun and you can't fill your tires or run any pneumatic shop stuff with a turbine.

If you need small and portability and if high end finishes aren't necessary, go with the turbine. In my mind, that's the only reason to use turbines over traditional compressors and conversion guns.
Thanks snipe, I had the quality issue upside down. I'll be going for the comp/conv gun approach.
JR1 - thanks as well, no cabinet shop, but various guns indicate need for 8-10 scfm, so that led me to 3hp unit. I've got space and power, and the $ difference to a 2hp unit is very small. And I only have time to do this right once.