Drawer to slide measurements
I bought some of Rockler's Centerline ball bearing drawer slides. I have easy top access to the unit that will have the drawers so I was going to install the slides, then build the drawers. My question is how much overall space should be deducted from the measurement between the slides? 1/16", 1/32"?
Paul
"Some glue, some brads while the glue dries, and that's not going anywhere!"
Norm
It might vary among the brands. The KV slides I use specify 0-1/16". That's a fairly precise measurement, so if you exceed it (drawer too small) you can do things like shim one side to fit, or even cut a shallow groove if it's not as perfect as it needs be. I, of course, have only read about this...never having had a misfit. In any case there should have been some information with the slides that give you the exact number. Of course the 2 slides need to be absolutely parallel when installed, and the drawer perfectly square.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I'm in awe. Never a problem with a drawer. I can't find anything about what they recommend for the spacing. All they say is 1/2" per side needs to be allowed for the slides. Duh.
Norm
Center mount ball bearing slides of the KV 8400 series require 1" between the drawer and the opening. As stated above, they allow 1/16" which really means 1/32" +/-

I have used a whole bunch of different brands of these slides. They are all basically clones of the KV 8400s I've never seen any that were different in the spacing.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
No doubt the slides came with instructions. The instructions will tell you how much clearance you need. Each brand is slightly different.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I've installed a lot of slides---mainly in shop cabinets. One thing I've learned is if you're going to use side mounts---you'd best have squared up cabinet sides or you'll be shimming and even then might not get a good fit. If you take the time with the cabinets---you'll be amazed at the good results. If in doubt, while I've never tried them, center bottom mounts would seem to eliminate critical squareness of the sides.
Dave
daveferg said:

I've installed a lot of slides---mainly in shop cabinets. One thing I've learned is if you're going to use side mounts---you'd best have squared up cabinet sides or you'll be shimming and even then might not get a good fit. If you take the time with the cabinets---you'll be amazed at the good results. If in doubt, while I've never tried them, center bottom mounts would seem to eliminate critical squareness of the sides.

I think he's using ball bearing side mounts. The brand name is Centerline.
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK
I always measure on the high side for the space required, allowing 33/32". That's because you can always shim as needed, even with thin shirtboard.

Also, before adding the drawer face to the drawer box, make sure that the drawer slides easily with a test fit. That way you can shave the drawer box as needed with the table saw if the box fits too tight. Nobody will see that shave because the slide covers most of it.
Rip to width. Plane to thickness. Cut to length. Join.
The instructions actually did not specify the space to be left other than to say 1/2" is needed on each side. I measured the space between the slides and built the first drawer the exact same size today. It worked out perfectly. There appears to be some slight flex or give that provides some leeway if you need. I was little nervous because I had not built a lot of drawers with side mount slides.
Norm