Adjusting an Old Level
I was given a rosewood and brass one foot long torpedo level, good shape but out. It would be fun to use it the odd time. How do I reset them?
A man of foolish pursuits
That depends how much it's out. To determine this get it to level on two blocks, one at each end. Then reverse the level's ends and add thickness gauge leaves to the low end to relevel.

Now that you know how much it's out decide if you want to sand/mill to level or reset the vial.
Show us some pictures. Many good quality levels have adjustment screws on the vial holders.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
I guess I should have asked what putty to use. I couldn't read the maker's stamp, but I would assume it is British by both the odd size and ornate inlayed brass. Yeah, machinist's levels are simple to adjust. Even the screws holding the brass over the vial are going to need gunsmith's screwdriver.
A man of foolish pursuits
I believe plaster of paris was the historic material, based on the old levels I've seen. Whether you can get the old vial out of its bedding intact, so you can reset it is a different matter. I tried once, but just once; and it took just 30 seconds to find out that I wasn't going to be reusing that vial.

Stanley lists some replacement vials (here), but the size range is pretty limited, and, in my observation, not often even close to the sizes of older levels.
Bill_Houghton said:

Stanley lists some replacement vials (here), but the size range is pretty limited, and, in my observation, not often even close to the sizes of older levels.

Inchmartine Tool Bazaar (in the UK) has and sells a stunning assortment of NOS "Level Bubbles".