Tile Shower Pan Construction Methods
We recently removed a damaged fiberglass shower stall and now we want to replace it with tile. Since the opening is not standard, we are going to make the pan out of ready-mix. The bathroom is on the second level, wood framed house. What is the best way to make the shower pan waterproof?

We are thinking of making a curb out of 3 2X4's wrapped wtih cement board, pour concrete base sloped to drain. Fluid applied waterproofing on top of concrete up the wall 6", cement board lapped over pan waterproofing, then waterproof cement board wall.

Questions:
1. Should we mix Xypex Concentrate in the concrete (we happened to come across some for free)
2. What is the best fluid applied waterproofing that tile can be set directly to or are there sheet products that tile can be set directly to?
3. Since we aren't putting a sheet liner below the mortar bed, is there any benefit to using a drain that has weep holes?
4. Do we need a vapor barrier behind the cement board if we use fluid applied waterproofing on the verticals? The bathroom doesn't have a fan so any vapor will go through the ceiling anyways, correct?
5. What are we missing?
There is a wealth of information at this site. I have done 2 shower pans using this information from these video's and the site.

http://www.tileshop.com/category/diy+vid...wer+pan.do

I used all of their recommended products and would not consider using anything else. There is too much of an investment and risk to not be using the best products available. I highly recommend you install the liner. I don't understand why would you consider skipping this critically important step? I did use tar paper behind the concrete board but that is basically overkill if everything else was done properly. Cheap insurance I guess.
Go to the John Bridges tile forum for tons of information about the right way to do a shower pan.

Also look at the Kerdi membrane system.

This is something that you absolutely want to make sure you are well informed and do right, or you will cause significant and very expensive damage to your home.
There are two kinds of people: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring - Carl Sagan
Alaric said:

Go to the John Bridges tile forum for tons of information about the right way to do a shower pan.

Also look at the Kerdi membrane system.

This is something that you absolutely want to make sure you are well informed and do right, or you will cause significant and very expensive damage to your home.

+1 times a million. The folks at the JB forum are awesome...they'll walk you through it. Kerdi is good stuff as well - there are other options too but I'm a fan.
Adam - I would have fluid applied waterproofing on the pan liner and up the walls, just below the thin-set. The part I wouldn't include is the Vapor Barrier (i.e. 6 mil plastic) between the studs and the cement board. The idea is that water won't get behind the waterproof membrane on top of the cement board. If you then have a vapor barrier just on the other side of the cement board, any vapor would then get stuck and couldn't escape (vapor vs. moisture).

The part I don't understand is why would you make the moisture barrier below a thick layer of thin-set as the membrane shower pans call for. Wouldn't water slowly seep down and take a while to drain? If you use a product like Redguard, wouldn't having the moisture barrier just below the tile/grout allow water to drain quicker?

I think either method would work just fine, as long as they are done correctly. Rough plumbing and framing tonight. One more day to decide...
cme4dk said:

Questions:
1. Should we mix Xypex Concentrate in the concrete (we happened to come across some for free)
2. What is the best fluid applied waterproofing that tile can be set directly to or are there sheet products that tile can be set directly to?
3. Since we aren't putting a sheet liner below the mortar bed, is there any benefit to using a drain that has weep holes?
4. Do we need a vapor barrier behind the cement board if we use fluid applied waterproofing on the verticals? The bathroom doesn't have a fan so any vapor will go through the ceiling anyways, correct?
5. What are we missing?

Can I start with #5? You're missing a lot. (No offense intended)

Fist off, you're not using concrete... You're using drypack, aka mud, it's just sand and portland cement, roughly 5:1 ratio... It's mixed with very little water, you're not looking to make a soupy mix. People may say they've "poured" the pan, but it's really "placed". When mixed, you can grab a handful and squeeze it into a lump. If it wont hold together, add a little water.
You can grab bags of Sand Mix from Homer's and add some mason sand to lean it out. I usually go two 80lb sand mix and one 50lb sack of Masons sand. Dont put any type of admix in to the drypack, it makes it harder to work with when forming your slope, and really serves no purpose...

Next, best fluid (liquid) applied membrane is HydroBan, made by Laticrete. You cant just put any drain in and liquid membrane up to it though. There are ways to use liquids on a clamp drain with weep holes, but for DIY, you'd be better off buying the manufacturers flange type drain..

No vapor barrier behind cement board if you're adding a topical membrane, be it sheet or liquid.

Now, what are you missing? I'll give you the quick tutorial for a surface applied membrane shower build:

1. Insulate where necessary
2. Build your curb out of 2x4, or whatever size you'd like. No Pressure treated.
3. Apply cement board to the walls and curb, tape and thinset the seams and corners. (Not necessary with fabric membranes, but definitely with liquid)
4. Tar paper and expanded metal lath stapled to subfloor
5. Test fit the drain leaving at least 1 1/4" under for mud, and using levels or laser calculate 1/4" per foot slope to the farthest point from the drain. Mark that height around entire shower to form your level perimeter.
6. There's two ways to set the drain with the mud, either place a ring of mud under the drain area, apply glue to the drain flange and install onto rough-in while smooshing into the mud... The easier method for DIY might be to glue your drain onto the trap first ensuring proper height and level, and then pack mud underneath it. If you go with method one, I also add some thinset to the back of the drain before the smoosh to help it adhere better. Sometimes a loose trap underneath can allow the drain to disconnect from the mud floor when there's a lot of early traffic on it. Keep adding mud to your shower floor packing it in with an old hard grout float or wood block as you go. Take your time to get an even slope from drain to perimeter all around. Any low spots will hold water after you tile and just pee you off.
7. The next day you can apply a sheet membrane like Kerdi, but if you're using liquid, you have to wait 3 days for the mud to dry out. Make sure the liquids are applied thick enough, and if you grab one that requires mesh in the corners, make sure you use it.
8. Start tiling. I put a ledger on the wall one course up and tile the walls. This way I dont have to wait for a floor to set. I do the floor next, and then fill in the bottom course of wall tile. You can go in whatever order you feel like.

I usually do a bit of a hybrid method. I mostly use Kerdi with the Kerdi drain, but always use liquids in recessed shampoo niches because the fabric membranes require overlaps that just build up too much inside tiny niche spaces. Liquids are faster and easier in that case. Occasionally I've used Kerdi drains and Kerdi'd the floor while doing the walls with HydroBan. I dont believe either company will warranty that install, but I'm comfortable with it (as are many other installers).
-who?
cme4dk said:

The part I don't understand is why would you make the moisture barrier below a thick layer of thin-set as the membrane shower pans call for. Wouldn't water slowly seep down and take a while to drain? If you use a product like Redguard, wouldn't having the moisture barrier just below the tile/grout allow water to drain quicker?

I think either method would work just fine, as long as they are done correctly. Rough plumbing and framing tonight. One more day to decide...

You're kind of right, though it's not a thick layer of thinset... It's drypack.. (See my other reply on that) Drypack is very porous and will drain to the weepholes on a properly constructed liner type shower build. The drypack does stay wet under the tile, the idea I suppose is that it gets a fresh rinse with every shower taken.
A shower built with a surface applied membrane will certainly dry out faster. Less chance for mold or mildew to develop too in the nooks and crannies.
-who?
I just did a shower with a concrete pan and I'll do another one in the house we're moving into.

Do go to the John Bridge forum.

I didn't use the kerdi system just because of cost. In retrospect, it might have been a good idea because it took me a long time and the Kerdi system would have saved me time. I did a membrane. Either way, I'm happy with my first one, the next one will be bigger and cooler. If I were to do it again, I would have done a foot niche or a seat. Next time.

The floor was out of level 1-1/4" over 4ft. Leveling the floor took longer than I expected it would. I tried the "self leveling" fast setting leveler and I thought it was too difficult to work with for a novice. I broke it up and start fresh with topping compound and used a screed to level it. Then durarock over it.

There's also a wealth of how to videos on YouTube.

I used topping compound as opposed to ready mix for the pan. Mix it a little dry and it's much easier to work with than ready mix and there is no aggregate.

Read the warnings on Redguard... I did and chose to use another product. Redguard says to let it set something like 10 or 20 days before tiling... I didn't have that kind of time. I used AquaDefense from Mapei. I think Lowes sells it. No leaks

slideshow
I'm a fan of Kerdi. Its bullet proof. Its also expensive. In my shower, the underlayment cost more than the tile.

I also like that a surface membrane (Kerdi or liquid) dries out faster. Little chance of mold and mildew.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry