Help drilling straight with hand drill
I came across this tool. Don't know if it has been posted before or not, but it seems like a great idea.

There are two kinds of people: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring - Carl Sagan
Crazy money

Seems the real problem isn't drilling the entire hole straight, it's getting it to start straight for 1/2" deep or so. Something like this is faster, cheaper, and can be made for any sized bit.

Making one is easy with a drill press, and that is also what many will do when absolute 90* is needed anyhow. Use a drill press that is....

That thing would keep a kid busy for a while though
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Where do I get one? I do make a little jig whenever I need a perpendicular hole. I didn't see a price but if it's crazy I'm sure I can continue with jigs.
I can see it might help with drilling where you want, but I don't see how it can guarantee a straight hole.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
that is one dull bit
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Unfortunately, I don't have a drill press <---me . So making a guide block is a little difficult.

It is certainly not a guarantee of a perpendicular hole, but I can see it being helpful.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring - Carl Sagan
Alaric said:

Unfortunately, I don't have a drill press. So making a guide block is a little difficult.

It is certainly not a guarantee of a perpendicular hole, but I can see it being helpful.

edit to add : it is not even on the market yet no investors.

this is available just down the street and would make a drilling block just fine.
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Alaric,

Cut two blocks. Use the TS and miter gauge to cut a series of slots in them, a bit smaller than the holes you want to have in your block.

Glue the two halves together, and the square grooves will guide the drill bit. Drill the holes out to the common sizes you want in your block, and now you have a guide block. No drill press needed.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
That's a good tip. Thanks.

I have been toying with the idea of getting a little bench top drill press. I don't have space for a big one in my gara-shop.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/154758/...ling-guide.aspx