Thoughts on motivation
KC,
Thanks for starting this thread. I'm pretty much in the same boat - no motivation. Like you, I'm confidant enough in my skills to tackle just about anything, but I can't seem to work up the enthusiasm to get started. I promised my daughter and SIL I'd build them a chest of drawers with an overhead cabinet for their new place in D.C. I ordered the wood and hardware, but it has sat in my shop for 4 months waiting for me to get off my azz and build it. The days seem to just float by with nothing accomplished. I can't figure it out. I have several projects in my head I'd love to build, but I need to get my kid's stuff done and out of the way. The stuff that interests me is more creative and "artsy" than a straightforward chest of drawers - more fun than drudgery. There are other disciplines that I think would be fun, but at my age, I don't feel like tooling up and spending the time to learn a new set of skills. I'm about to come to the conclusion that I'm just a lazy old f*rt. I just need to kick myself out of this chair, go down to my shop and dig in! I'll do it this morning. Thanks for forcing me to think this through. ...Just as soon as I finish my coffee.

Hank
Im in the same boat,kids moved out and things got more boring,I got lotsa of projects lined up in my head but can't seem to go into the shop to get them going. I still have a full time job for another 5 years or so which gets me exhausted dealing with people.I used to be able to do so much 20 or so years ago.
+1!!
Mark in Sugar Land, TX
Just a thought, and I do know where you're coming from...
Maybe something kind of related to ww,while not actually ww might be a good therapy. A trip over to OWWM may be what the doctor ordered. A cool restoration job on a piece of vintage machinery?
Hey, if it brings no joy don't do it, simple as that. Why spend precious time doing something that you take no pleasure in? From how I interpreted your note I think you have to find a challenge that will give you pleasure in the process of making something, or move on to something else. I don't think if matters if the end result meets your expectations and you couldn't have done any better, nor could anyone else. If you didn't enjoy making it it can't be satisfying.

There's no shame in giving up woodworking if it doesn't make you happy, even if you are really good at it. Take a trip somewhere you always wanted to see but were afraid to go, learn a new language - do something different, get uncomfortable. You'll find something along the way.

John
If you don't enjoy your hobby, then may be time to find a new one?

You don't have to ditch your tools, it might be something that needs a workshop and tools? Build a canoe? Model plane? Something different from furniture that you are finding a drag at the moment.

With a young family AND grandkids I've got plenty of projects that need doing, and happy recipients for the stuff I make. It''s not commissions or paid work, so there isn't the pressure to get it done by a deadline.
How does your shop look? Maybe it's time for some reorg? Maybe it's time to build a new bench, organize all those screws laying everywhere. How bout new lights, paint the walls, change the layout like you have wanted too for years but never had the time.

Sometimes refreshing the shop can get the creative juices flowing again.
Don
I am another who was in the same boat ... lots of unfinished and un-started projects ... all I was doing was acquiring and referbing more old tools ... and the fun was going out of that ...

I acquired an old tool that was missing an un-obtainable part ...I thought I could make it if I read a few things and got a few more tools ... along came my interest in Blacksmithing ...

The passion is back ... at least for awhile ... finishing some of those woodworking projects too ...

Good luck!! Red
Dang, I thought it was just me...should have known better...haven't been motivated for the last couple of years...divorced, family moved away, nobody to build things for...turning 65 in a few days and just don't have the energy or enthusiasm I used to have. Spend way too much time in front of a PC screen trading futures and stock options and it seems to be the only thing that catches my interest besides reading...my woodworking friend brought a load of white oak and walnut to my shop today as he has two new grandchildren to build toy boxes for. We have made it a team effort to build toy boxes for their 1st birthdays and then bookshelves for their 2nd so hopefully this will get me going again. I enjoy his company and it gives me someone to visit with who has shared interests.
Stupid is forever, ignorant can be transitory.
I do not feel you need anyone to shrink you.

How about adding another dimension to your woodworking by adding carving like they did tons of years ago and some still do.

I think that would be a total challenge adding carvings to anything and everything.

One more thing is how about teaching others what you know which is a challenge all in itself. I know I would love to learn from someone.

Arlin

Wow it seems I should have read the comments first since others have already said it.

Come up here and teach me!!! I am very sure I AM a challenge.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.