Period Piece
I'm building a secretary and am curious if the inside of the carcass and other non visible places should be stained as well.
If it's not visible when the secretary is open and in use what's the point?
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
Dave Diaman (sp) or Rob Millard would know for sure, but my bet is that the folks who built those beautiful old pieces only finished what was visible. The comment you often hear about needing to finish all sides of wood just didn't hold much sway with them; time was money. I've even seen pieces that were completely unfinished inside, even though it was visible when the doors were opened.

John
The insides of the gallery should be stained and finished to match but not necessary for the insides where no one would see.

BTW, what wood are you using? Also post some pics to we can see what your building. We all love to see what others have on the bench.
Nope.
This is the most recent picture; the case has now been glued up (except the top). The wood is Birdseye Maple; the drawer fronts will be facings with oversized Birdseye Maple, while the drop down writing surface will be Quilted Maple, as will the two raised panels on the upper cabinet. It sounds convoluted, but we'll see???