Making cove molding
I experimented with making some 3" cove molding on the table saw this morning. It worked well for the little time and effort I spent at it.
My question is, is there a type of blade that works best for this- to make for the least amount of sanding ?
I just used the blade in the saw and some poplar, but I may need to make 35 feet out of white oak.
Any pointers on the quickest way to sand the profile ?
The longest pieces would be a 6 and two 8 foot pieces. the rest will be 2- 4 feet long.
I don't know of a "best" blade. I've always used a rip blade for that. Slow, steady and shallow passes seem best. Make a sanding block to fit the cove from a sample piece of the molding. Line the surface with plastic packing tape and fill the area with Bondo. When the Bondo cures, remove it from the molding and wrap sandpaper around it. Presto! Custom sanding block.
There is a blade designed just for making cove moldings
It is made by CMT
Available at a lot of places but here is one place you can get it web page

You can also use a molding head cutter with a cove bit to do the same thing
Not looking for a new blade, just thinking of what I have around. Maybe a triple chip will be a little smoother.
Great idea on the bondo sanding block, I'll try that.
do you have a TS molding head with half round knives?
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I needed to make a few shallow coves and did it on the ras. Nice to be able to see the cut. it was a wide shallow cove and I just used the 10" blade that was on the saw.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
The molding head with round knives is best.
No molding head, just regular blades. I'll make one work.
I've used a rip blade and thought the finish was pretty good. Bondo is a great idea for making a sanding block. I've had good success with a piece of 1-1/2" foam insulation. I draw the shape on it's edge, cut out a piece about 6" long on the bandsaw, and then put a thin piece of flexible foam between it and the sandpaper to take care of any inconsistencies.

John
Thanks for the help guys.