Stupid Question #34
Can you buy domestic hardwood dimensional lumber anywhere?
Say I want to buy a 2" X 12" X 8' oak board.
Does anyone even make something like that, or is it a custom type dealy?
It would be a board 8/4 thick, x 12"wide x 8' long. Oak can be reasonable depending on where you find it, but that piece certainly brings more $ than it's narrower, less thick cousins.

In general terms no one "makes" hardwood lumber. Graders at the mill direct the sizes cut based on suspected yield. Obviously more profit will be realized with a greater yield given a flat cut board. Sometimes wood is quarter sawn, which can have a lower yield, but often fetches more desirability, and also has higher prices.

Basic information about hardwood size I'd suggest reading through.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Typically, only softwood is available as dimensioned lumber. Hardwood is sold by thickness and grade in random widths and lengths.
Softwood is defined as wood deriving from trees with needles and cones, hardwood as wood from trees with broad leaves. The hardness or softness of the wood is not the determining factor.
This is the traditional means of marketing wood. There are exceptions.
An enterprising proprietor of a sporting goods store may have a tiny lightbulb flicker on in his head. The millionth time a customer walks in the door requesting a football bat, he might say, "Here you go" handing the customer a baseball bat, "That will be twenty bucks." In that model one sometimes sees hardwood lumber sold as dimensioned stock. Technically, it doesn't exist, but vendors can't be faulted for making money this way. The problem arises when people begin going around saying, "I have this football bat, and..." It just makes people confused.
Why do you need hardwood lumber dimensioned stock?
Do you need hardwood lumber dimensioned stock?
You want to buy lumber, right? Why not just buy lumber according to the traditional system of weights and measures?
I've seen S4S hardwood lumber at HD, usually oak and poplar, but sometimes maple, too, I think. I don't ever remember seeing anything thicker than 3/4", however. There are hardwood lumber suppliers like Niagara Lumber who sell surfaced lumber, too, delivered to your door. For a price they will probably make anything you want.

John
You're only up to "Dumb Question #34"? Wow you need to get busy, there's lots more out there!

Good luck, you've received some good answers above,

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
Can't answer you question. But if you find it hold on to your wallet.

10 years ago I bought some 2x8's by 12 feet long s4s oak. It was 120 dollars per board.
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK
Wow guys, that's a lot of info. I appreciate the answers & the help.
ruffcutt said:

Can't answer you question. But if you find it hold on to your wallet.

10 years ago I bought some 2x8's by 12 feet long s4s oak. It was 120 dollars per board.

Shipping to Alaska? Because if not, and if it wasn't made of gold, you didn't do well on that deal.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Many lumber suppliers have the planers and jointers to make it dimensional for you. You pay extra for that, but for odd sizes, it's worth the extra you pay for it. Check with your local lumber supplier and see.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill