Straightening a curved sailboat hatch board
I have a sailboat that has been left out on a trailer. THe exterior board has weathered while the inside is still stained. As a result the board was warped badly. Is there anyway to uncup the boards?

The boards consist of two boards joined together to make two 12" wide hatch boards both cupped across the grain. So far I have sanded the weathered surface, what should I do to the other surfaces to try to get the boards straighter before restaining?
A carpenter's house is never done.
Can you strip the finish off the inside to help everything equialize. I'm assuming the boards are solid wood and not plywood.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
Boatman53 said:

Can you strip the finish off the inside to help everything equialize. I'm assuming the boards are solid wood and not plywood.
Jim

Yep it is solid wood. That was the plan. Would it make sense to reverse the process? Sand the whole thing clean and stain the current weathered side that is cupped then let the other side to dry out till the board straightens some?
That might be worth a try. When you say stain do you mean varnish or literally just a stain. If the exterior face is dried out and cupped in that direction try a little misting with water. Are they teak or mahogany?
Jim
I've owned two sailboats and seen hundreds of others. I've seen badly weathered hatch boards but never warped as you describe.

I'd say, after you've sanded them down----set the ends on blocks with bow side up, and place a heavy weight in the middle. I tend to doubt this will work, but worth a try.

Otherwise, I'd suggest scouting for some teak or mahogany and make your own, which likely will take less effort than struggling with these damaged boards.
Dave
Dave is right, if they came into my shop I would just make new ones. But that isn't what you asked.
Jim
Boatman53 said:

That might be worth a try. When you say stain do you mean varnish or literally just a stain.

Yes that is what I mean. That is not the first time I made that error. I will be varnishing the wood onboard. I will attach some pictures of the boards to show the warped nature and maybe you guys can help me determine if they are teak or Mahogany. They fit on the boat now but feel I should try to make them straight if I am going to try to varnish them to look nice and last a while.
I'm going to suggest an idea fully knowing I'm posting after boat people and I'm not a boat person.

The correct answer is pitch them in the fire and buy or make new ones.

However, since I have more time than brains...

I'd strip them of all finish and steam them. Then, clamp them flat with cauls and let them sit for at least a week or two.

They actually may end up flat. or not. If flat, re-varnish. If not, go back to previous recommendation.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
I am very interested in the answers and solution. I happen to have picked up an old hand cranked butter churn. The top of the barrel with the advertising is warped similarly. Obviously tossing the board and creating a new is not an option. The good news is that it only has to look good in the end and not support actual butter making operations. The inside of the board is not varnished but the outside probably was.
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
JP, just turn it over in place and wait. It might be all it needs. If it works just leave an air space when you put it right so humidity equalizes.
Jim