Jet 1642 Lathe
Does anyone have any experience with the Jet 1642 2HP lathe? I just bought it, put it together and plugged it in to the 220 outlet. Works fine, powers up, comes up to speed nicely , goes into reverse. When I turndown the speed and push the off button, the speed LCD stays lit with the speed "0". I kept it that way 15 minutes to see if it would light would go off and it does not. You have to unplug it. Just wondering if that is normal before I call Jet. Thank you in advance. David
Hi, David.
Sorry I don't know your answer. Suggest you post in the wood turning section. This is a popular lathe and I'm sure there are some users around. Good luck.
Mike
I don't have any experience with the Jet but I have a Powermatic 4224 with a VFD and it's the same. Anytime it is plugged in, the rpm display is lighted. I can also hear what sounds like a fan running. I just unplug it when I'm not turning.
Steve K

if the Jet truely has a VFD....

Tool Off buttons for tools connected to a vfd are not disconnecting power. They are opening or closing input contacts (depending on how they are wired) on the VFD. The inputs are read by the VFD and then it typically does something on the output side the VFD like slow the tool a certain way/time and then stop power. You would need to wire in a separate disconnect from power if you want the VFD to be powered off. You never want to loose power to the VFD while it is running voltage on the output side if at all possible.

Also important to note E-stops are wired separately as well. You can wire the stop circuit to do a specific subroutine and then also wire one to kill power.

Many VFD's will also run without power for a specific time until its capacitors bleed off.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

This is normal behavior for the Jet 1642 2HP, also the same for the Powermatic 3520B. No more than I turn (on the Jet), I just leave mine unplugged.
You should always unplug VFD equipped machines. The sensitive electronics are vulnerable to voltage spikes caused by power fluctuations. These may be caused by thunderstorms or power outages and switching. Unplugging (or using a "knife" type of disconnect) is the only way to protect the electronics. VFD's getting fried is a big headache. DAMHIKT
RP
I have a 1642 1-1/2 - works the same way - decided early on to just unplug when not in use (like someone else said.
"Don't force it - get a bigger hammer!"
David

Just like Steve said it will stay on the whole time it is plugged in.

If you want it off unplug it. I leave my lathe on all the time since I am to lazy to reach up and unplug it.

I had a 220 outlet put on the ceiling with a 3 foot extension coming out of the box. To me it is a good way to keep a cord out of the way on the floor.

I also hope you start posting in wood turning so we can see what you are doing. Lots of good advise there too.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Greg Jones said:

This is normal behavior for the Jet 1642 2HP, also the same for the Powermatic 3520B. No more than I turn (on the Jet), I just leave mine unplugged.

+1

I've had mine (1 1/2HP 110V) since 2002 and I plug mine into a high quality surge suppressor.
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Thank you Arlin. I will certainly spend more time in the turning forum and post a few pictures. I recently cut up some logs to practice on.

David