1st Leather project (for a handtool)
I've been protecting myself from an inherited Greenlee 10" drawknife with a piece of vinyl tubing for too long. It did the job but was just "wrong." So I decided to try my hand at leatherwork. For a 1st project, I was pleased with the outcome. 8 oz. vegtan, welted, hand stitched, riveted at the corners.

I had the same issue with a pair of grass shears so I took a shot at those too.

Just what I needed - another hobby.
Mike

Funny on occasion, embarrassing on average.
Too
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I've been doing leatherwork for over 40 years.
That hand stitching kills my RA in my hands these days.
I was looking at a Cobra stitching machine, until I saw the price of them.
I can imagine that Herb. After an hour of it my fingers are stiff & sore, especially with a welted item with three layers.
Mike

Nice. Looks good, particularly the stitching.

I recently made a prototype wallet because I wasn't happy with anything I could find in a store. You all are right, stitching is not a comfy thing to do.

Marlk

That worked well. I used some leftover leather from a campaign chair for the same purpose. I like your use of stitching and snaps, neither of which I have any experience with. A cover is a must for draw knives and that one is perfect. Looks like I need to stop by the Tandy store.
Thank you for the nice comments. Like woodworking, it's surprising how many specialized tools and techniques are needed to do this. Before I dived in I was warned that it would be expensive and they were right.

Mike, the only reason I know anything about snaps is that I'm a boater who has to deal with canvas and snap-in carpeting, and everything I know about stitching I learned from a couple of very generous YouTube-ers. I'd be happy to help or share what I've learned.

Marlk, I share your problem with wallets. My skills aren't ready for that project yet but I too am disgusted with the choices. My last wallet was made by an artisan in Colorado from water buffalo and was the only wallet I owned for over 25 years. Now I can't find one that will last 5, nor hold half as much stuff.
Mike

Mike Brady said:

That worked well. I used some leftover leather from a campaign chair for the same purpose. I like your use of stitching and snaps, neither of which I have any experience with. A cover is a must for draw knives and that one is perfect. Looks like I need to stop by the Tandy store.

Maybe I should start making draw knife covers & sell them.
I can even stamp your name in the leather. Anything from 1/8" to 1" in height. Initials, numbers, letters.

It'd be cheaper for people to buy a custom made one than invest in all the tools it takes to make one.
KSMike said:

Good work. Maybe that box of Band-Aids will last a little longer now.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I wondered if anyone would pick up on the Band Aids. When I did the drawknife sheath I escaped unscathed. But for the shear sheath I dragged a sharp 6-bladed pricking iron across my thumb, and stuck a finger with an awl. Fortunately the leather was already dyed, so I didn't need to use blood for that - but I could've.

Herb, it's not a bad idea. We all know people love to buy old drawknives, yet they never come with any protection - and few tools need it more than a drawknife.
Mike