Re-introduction
Hello everyone! I think it's been several years since I've been on here, so I wanted to say hi. It's good to see some of the same people still posting.

I have had my tools in storage for several years now and finally have a house with a big enough garage for a woodshop. I'm in the process of getting it all set up and am really excited to start turning again.

Interesting observation: I find myself feeling fearful of getting back on the lathe again. I'm going to do it for sure, but I think it's interesting how I was turning big bowls and hollow forms, even trying the McNaughton center saver, and now I'm a little apprehensive of a tiny practice project.

I'm probably still a couple weeks out from being set up fully, but I'll be sure to post my first piece after an involuntary hiatus. :-)
I'm slow, but I do poor work.
Looking forward to seeing some of your work. Good to have another with McNaughton experience hanging out here. I bought one a couple months ago and haven't had a chance to figure it out yet. Welcome aboard!!
Steve K

Thanks! I have been able to get two cores out of a piece of wood so far, and it was not easy. People like RoboHippy and Mike Mahoney make it look so easy!
Welcome back! I had about a 3 month hiatus from turning when I counted the time before and after my total knee replacement. I too, was a bit rusty. First thing I did was sharpen all my tools, then I just took things slow and easy. No mishaps. I started with pens, then added a small bowl, then moved up to larger bowls.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Welcome back

I know when I have not turned for a while I always turn some pens to get back in the groove again. I would rather mess up on a pen blank then a bowl blank.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Good advice, guys. I think I'll start with some simple spindle practice and then move on to some small bowls. I have some "scrap" bowl blanks that are ready to be exploded. ;-)
LOML asked me to help her on a bowl a couple days ago. As soon as I put the tool to it, it blew up.
Next day, I was bringing home a $500 bowl. As I walked up the steps, tripped, fell and shattered the bowl.

You should be OK.
VH07V  
Oh no! That's a rough couple of days!
Welcome back. I had over a thirty year hiatus from the lathe before I had a place for a shop! I think you will have a better time getting back into it than I did.

Have fun!
Doug
Don't you owe me money??
If it don't hold soup, it's ART!!

Dry Creek Woodturning