Quick wood movement question...
I bought a slab of oak butcher block from Menards to use as a quick work bench top for non-woodworking activities. The top is made of finger jointed scraps. Will this have just as much wood movement as any other piece of laminate top? I was planning on using pocket screws to attach it to the frame. Bad idea?

Can I also screw one edge of it down solid and leave larger holes for the other screws for expansion?

Thanks!

Andy
I am quickly realizing that I have NO natural talent... But I am trying to fake it.
Treat it the same as any other solid piece of wood the FJ connects the end to an end and there is little movement that way

you could screw it but I would make the center the rigid point and use slotted holes for the rest.

or just use z clips and forget about it forever. They are way faster to install

JME

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I would go with your second idea.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

Not that it makes a difference to how you secure it, but are you sure it's oak? Menards on line only sells birch butcher block. Radial movement in birch is quite a bit more than oak, so if it's birch, account for that when mounting.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
My local Menards had the birch in the cabinet section, but a slightly less attractive oak butcherblock in the lumber area marked as "workbench" tops.

Andy
I am quickly realizing that I have NO natural talent... But I am trying to fake it.
The answer to any wood movement question is "Yes, wood will move."

You could indeed could make the front fixed and shift all movement toward the back using slotted/oversize holes, if it's that important that the front be immobile.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Here is what I am doing...

I am attaching this workbench top to the frame. I'd like to find an angled metal fastener locally that I could screw to the frame and to the bottom of the top that would allow for wood movement, but there are none locally that I have found.

" />

Thanks!

Andy

or you can make wooden ones

Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Because the top is butted against the uprights at the back there isn't any expansion room there. I would fix it solidly there at the back, and use some kind of sliding connection at the front. If the front end moves a fraction of an inch in or out, you wont notice.

The wooden "buttons" work fine and are easy enough to make. Metal clips or slotted holes work too, as long as it's able to move a bit.
I don't want to take the time to run a slot like I would if this was an actual piece of furniture. I'd like to wrap this up soon if possible.

Andy