Porter Cable Dovetail jig
I own a Porter Cable 4212 Dovetail jig, and want to start making through dovetails. I haven't used the jig, and was looking for any feedback on how the jig works, and are the instructions decent, or do they leave you hanging?

Thanks

Scott
Looks a lot like an ominjig setup so you could youtube thos videos and start there maybe.

I am sure a 4212 owner will chime in and be more helpful.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I'd never made a dovetail nor seen one made when I got my 4212. It took me a few tries to get the idea, but following the instructions got me to the point of making tight, solid through and blind dovetails.

I haven't used them, but Porter Cable also offers supplemental instructions for moderately advanced techniques beyond their simplest, relatively inflexible basic results.
Phydeaux
Until recently, it's the only jig I've used, so I can't really compare it to others. I've found it pretty straightforward and have gotten excellent results from mine. As said, if you go online you can download an advanced guide from P-C that gives instructions for more challenging joints than given in the manual that comes with the jig. While the jig certainly isn't as flexible as Leigh or other jigs, many have said it will do 95% of what you would ever want in a dovetail jig and what you lose in flexibility is more than made up for in simplicity of use.
A retirement dedicated to fine woodworking and bad golf.
I use this jig and I read both the standard and advanced manual. I also found it helpful to watch a few demonstrations on youtube. It certainly helps to have two routers going, 1 for pins and one for tails. It takes practice but once dialed in, it works well.
I have that jig, with the supplemental templates. I use it for making box joints. Haven't used it for dovetails, but IIRC, the instructions were pretty decent. I did look at the advanced manual. I don't think I needed it for the box joints, but it's nice to have it available.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

I have that one. very decent tool. takes a few stabs to get er dialed in.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

PC 4212 Manual read it use it

A couple of good video's if visual works better. He gives some good tips. Down side is he just makes 1/2 blinds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apH1QM-HDfg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syyvnq-mS9A

storage box for a PC 4212 from our hosts

This is an awesome episode of The WoodSmith Shop Season 3, Episode 307: Aired on Nov. 7, 2009. Not sure how to access it, but if you can it will be beneficial, good tips given.

Good luck.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I own this jig and find that it does a good job once properly set up. Setup can be a bit tedious. I haven't read all the supplementary instructions or seen the videos mentioned above. However, I've found a technique that cuts the tedium a bit. The instructions that come with the jig talk about adjusting the side stops, left & right, in order to set the location of the pins and tails relative to the board edge. For me, getting this position exact takes unnecessary trial and error. I start by cutting my boards a little extra wide. Then I clamp them into the jig centered on the fingers by eye and then set the stops. After cutting the pins and tails, I put them together, mark where the board edges should be, and trim them on the TS. This easily assures that edges align exactly and eliminates the need to determine left and right pieces ahead of time. Works for me!
The instructions are fine, just a bit repetitive. The repetition confused me a bit at first but I got a grip.

Just get yourself some 1 x 4 or 1x 6 hardwood scrap or buy a piece of poplar and practice a bit. You will soon get the hang of it. Box joints are even easier than through DT. You might like to start practicing with them.

Tear out is a problem with plywood, especially cheaper grades, so learn on solid wood. I'm very happy with this jig.

Doug