Direction of underside veneer
I'm making a 36" diameter table which will be veneer on top using quilted Makora and Cocobolo. The top is 3/4" soft maple edge glued, 7ea pcs. Corporate wisdom says I should also veneer the bottom to prevent the top from warping.

Question: Which direction should I apply the veneer, -- the least expensive I can find? Across or parallel to the pcs? What's your rational? What say ye?

Dave

Q
You might reconsider your substrate and use plywood or MDF. Just ensures more stability, but I know some folks have "philosophical" reasons why not to use MDF.

To your question, I'd apply it at a right-angle to the grain of the substrate, much like plywood is made. (and do the same with the show-veneer)
Take "Mounds" advice. Wood ,expands and shrinks,the veneer may crack with the movement.

mike
Over 15 years ago I built a dining room table out of black walnut. I had a limited amount of some very nicely grained walnut but not enough to make the entire top and leaves. I didn't want to have a border around the top. I resawed the nice walnut into thick veneer and used it to veneer the walnut I made for the top. I ran the veneer the same direction that the solid walnut ran. The top, both veneer and solid wood, move as one unit in contracting and expanding. I think that the veneer and solid have to run in the same direction. Just think about it. How much might a 42" wide top expand and shrink between summer and winter? Quite a lot. You can't expect that a veneer could stop that movement on an inch thick top. Even if you veneered both sides, that top movement would eventually cause the veneer to fail. If the center were made of plywood or MDF, it would be an entirely different story. Oh, I gave this table to my daughter last year and it is still pretty much perfect. Ken
I've never veneered a solid wood substrate, but I have to think Ken's point is right on......
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.