If you own this why would you buy this?

If you have the one above, why get the one below?
If you have neither, which one is more useful?
Or is Lee valley becoming Stanley of old, with so many choices, for similar uses?
Not slagging on LV just wondering why?
Have a good end of the week everyone.

Well, you can use the new one right- or left-handed; with the shooting plane, to get right- and left-handed use, you have to buy two.

And, with the grip at the back, the shooting plane calls out for a track to run in (and when is LV issuing the track and fence that Rob's hinted at?), while the miter plane, with the grip aligned with the center of mass, might work better for simpler shooting boards.

But I'm just speculatin'; don't know for sure what the LV elves had in mind for the two designs. I'd be happy to run a comparison test if someone wants to give me an example of each plane...
I think the top one is just a very nice shooting plane.

The one on the bottom can be just a plane and then the handle swivels and can be used for a shooting plane.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Bill_Houghton said:

. . . when is LV issuing the track and fence that Rob's hinted at?

Is this this what you're talking about? If so, they've been available for a good while, maybe up to a year. I bought a set, but they wouldn't fit the board I got from Rob H (not enough room on the part the plane rides on.) I just made my own--some strips of UHMW lying a round and a scrap piece of something, also lying around, with elongated holes on the diagonal for movement.
Tony
There are more thoughts on this in a previous thread:
http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads...=&fpart=all

You don't need a track for the shooting plane. It works fine without a track. I see advantages for either. If you already have a shooting plane, IMO you really don't need a miter plane. The miter plane can be used both as a bevel up smoother or as a miter plane. But so can a low angle jack plane. The advantage of the miter plane over a LAJ is that it has the shooting horn attachment that makes it easier to push when used as a miter plane. I don't think it makes a very good smoother, since you really don't have much of a handle with the rear knob. At that point, it's more like an oversized block plane.

The shooting plane has more mass and a skewed blade, which is I think is an advantage for most shooting tasks. If all you're shooting is small stuff, and you don't have a shooting plane, then perhaps the miter plane is the one to have.

I've tried to think this through and in my mind. I use a Veritas LAJ for my shooting plane. If I wanted a dedicated shooting plane, I'd purchase the shooting plane. I can't rationalize a miter plane purchase. The "versatility" of a miter plane is redundant to planes I already own.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
That's the same type of thoughts I'm having as well.
Oh well, thank you to LV for giving me something to ruminate on.
Have a good week everyone.
I have the shooting plane with the short track - and love them. Other than the cool factor why would I want a miter plane? The cool factor is probably sufficient, but I can envision a number of folks who might have a need for a "quicky" miter or end cut who would really like such a plane. No need to hunt up and drag out the shooting board. Am I going to buy one? As much as I might want to - probably not - unless I get more flush than I am now.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Tony (Charleston, WV) said:

[blockquote]Bill_Houghton said:

. . . when is LV issuing the track and fence that Rob's hinted at?

Is this this what you're talking about?

[/blockquote]

Yep. Oops. Rob had mentioned a fence that could easily be set to an accurate 90 degrees, too. I guess that's still in development, or they decided they couldn't make it at a reasonable price, or something.
I have the shoot plane shown on top. For me it is going to be just a shoot plane. I think the noob miter plane could offer someone with a limited inventory to get shoot use, as well as a big block plane, small bench plane performance. Maybe not as good as the individual planes, but a darn site better than nothing

LV quality on them both
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Lee Valley has useful info in their instruction links often listed with the tools they sell. For example, here's a pic of the miter plane being used as something rather than a shooting plane-

like a big block plane.

Phil