Hardware swapping help
So I needed a new dresser for the kids. And I knew that I was not going to have time to make one, so I figured my best shot was just keeping my eye open for something used I could use. Luckily, I found something a couple weeks ago at a thrift store. It was in pretty good shape (Only major thing was fixing a runner for one of the drawers).

There is only one problem with it. I HATE Chippendale pulls. As does my wife. I figured I could always swap out the hardware. I took a couple off, and was shocked to find that the finish behind the plates looks the same as areas not covered (I fully expected a burnt in outline due to UV damage).

Now I have no idea what to switch to. I don't have any type of design eye for this sort of thing. Any pointers? I can kinda see myself going two ways. If I want to stick with bail pulls I'd think a rosette pull of some sort would be my best choice (since the other options seem to involve back plates also). But with rosette pulls I think you might get that dinging sound when you drop the handle, close the drawer, etc., which I've always found kinda annoying. Or, go with a solid handle of some sort, but this is where my head starts spinning. So many options. Any suggestions on how to narrow this down? I'll probably also replace the two top knobs.

And one thing to keep in mind is the two kids using this are currently 1 and 3 years old. So they'll need to be able to grab the handles (I'm figuring this will not be a problem) and big eye gouging protrusions (like the top knobs on the current one) are probably less than ideal. But, the good news is the top drawer is above their head, so that one isn't going to be used by them for some time.

Mark

inlay them

Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I think a solid brass handle (not a bail pull) would look nice, and they're available at good hardware stores. You could go with something fairly simple like this one, or go with something a little more ornate like these. Both from Lee Valley (free shipping at the moment!).

But what's with those knobs up on the top? They look... odd. I suppose you're going to replace those too and get one style of hardware for the whole thing?
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I'd use a simple bail style.

http://cdn.paxtonhardware.com/images/large/0694k.png
For drawers where there are two holes already drilled, I like cup pulls. There is nothing to flap around and make a lot of noise if you happen to be putting laundry away after the kids go to bed.
Get the Lee Valley Hardware Catalog or check it out online. They have a Zillion choices that will tickle your imagination. Ask your kid to help you with the selection. I'm currently building a chest of drawers for my daughter and SIL. I sent them the catalog and asked them to pick out the pulls. Their selection was one I would never have thought of, but I think it will look great on the chest; and it is their choice. Also, FYI, Lee Valley has a free shipping promo going at the moment.

If I let my children pick out hardware, their furniture would end up with stuff like this.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop

I made changing table/dressers for each of my 4 grandkids. They each have novelty knobs, appropriate for babies/toddlers/youngsters. My oldest granddaughter is now 8 (going on 15) and the original knobs are still on her dresser. I suspect at some point, before her teenage years, I'll be asked to replace them with something more age appropriate.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Quote:

If I let my children pick out hardware, their furniture would end up with stuff like this.

While none of those particularly sing to me, I really like the Pentapus ones that LV has. Whimsical. I'm tempted to put them on the top. Totally clash, but I think my daughter would love it. And my wife does. And as noted, when they get older, swap them out (though the sun damage behind those ones would make that an interesting site.

Pentapus link

Mark