On getting ripped off, feedback from the wise, please.
Put a lein on the cottage, for the amount owed, then when he goes to sell it he can't until accounts are settled.

Or if he really is being indignant and difficult, phone him, and tell him you forgot a tool, or a piece of hardware, an extra adjustable shelf etc....,
and when your let in remedy the problem, remove all the doors & drawers and leave.

Once the item is delivered, and in their possession it becomes their property, and very difficult to remove / get paid.
Hopefully, its just a banking error, on his part, and you don't have to up the game, Good luck.
Your bank should be returning it to you. The check is you property because he wrote the check to you. It just takes some time to get back to you.
If it goes so far as thinking of lawyers, try the DA first. Bogus checks are part of their job.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
I remember the days when if men had a problem they worked it out face to face. "Hey, your check bounced", starts the conversation and see where it goes from there.

Maybe I'm too old for this world, but I don't understand discussing a potential problem on the internet before you even know if one really exists.

IMHO
See ya later,
Bill
Bill_de said:

I remember the days when if men had a problem they worked it out face to face. "Hey, your check bounced", starts the conversation and see where it goes from there.

Maybe I'm too old for this world, but I don't understand discussing a potential problem on the internet before you even know if one really exists.

IMHO

I agree. A simple, low stress conversation seems the way to go. You can always escalate but at least start with the idea that is just a simple mix up.
Victor

"The cure for anything is saltwater....sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
Bill_de said:

IMHO

Thank you for your opinion.
I think the sooner you bring this up to him, the better.
It's already been 9-10 days.
Don't assume he is following his bank account closely.
I am bad at following my bank account. So much stuff gets automatically billed now. you have a spouse taking money out, not writing stuff in the register, etc.
It's also possible the bank sent him an email instead of a letter to tell him the check bounced and it's lost in a spam folder or an avalanche of email or he just skipped it, thinking he was a statement.

If you can be with him alone or phone him, that would be best.
I would not write a letter.. that might get lost.
You need to tell him in person, in a non-confrontational way.
"Hey, I'm sure this was an accident, but the check for the armorior bounced"... See what he does. He will probably make it right.
If he doesn't, chances are, you are never going to get that money.

I mean,I'm sure it was a wonderful amorior, but I doubt the buyer owes you enough money to finance legal action. Small Claims court is useless, don't do that (unless you really want to poison your work relationship).
I bet it is an honest mistake and if brought up in person, it will get resolved. A lot can be told about how he reacts. I was given a fatt check a while ago and it bounced. The guy swore up and down there was plenty of money to cover it. Turns out the wife had bought the hubby a big birthday present and did not tell him. The check hubby wrote to me caused the cat to get let out of the bag.
TroutVictor said:

[blockquote]Bill_de said:

IMHO

I agree. A simple, low stress conversation seems the way to go. You can always escalate but at least start with the idea that is just a simple mix up.

[/blockquote]

Exactly. And, if he gives you any chit, you can jimmy kick him right then and there.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Bring it, act cluelss as to why it happened,act like you guys are on the same side, and give him plenty of room to help you - "Hi ....., I got a note from my bank saying the check you gave me did not clear. They charged me a $35 fee too. Can you call your bank and see if there is anything they can do to help get this to clear? Maybe get me a certified check from them or something so they don't have any other issues? Banks can be a pain."

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.