Natural Edge Table
Just finished this table for an upcoming show. The top is book matched spalted maple slabs, approximately six feet long, 43" wide at one end and 32" wide at the other end. The base is oak bent lam legs and accents with a spalted maple beam. NE slabs are not usually my cup of tea but this wood was so amazing that it seemed silly not to incorporate the entire slab.

All comments and critiques welcomed.

The only critique I have is that it would look better in my dining room than in yours.

That is beautiful. I really like what you did with the undercarriage, too. Many thumbs up!
nice looking table, undercarriage looks very busy to me.
clockman said:

Very nice build! My humble impression was this as well, those extra bent-lams underneath seem a bit indulgent and out of place given the live edge focal point.. But still, very cool
mound said:

[blockquote]clockman said:

Very nice build! My humble impression was this as well, those extra bent-lams underneath seem a bit indulgent and out of place given the live edge focal point.. But still, very cool

[/blockquote]
I thought the same thing..the extra bent lams look extraneous.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
Superior workmanship, and I like the design. I too, however, think the bent lams are overkill and detract from the live edge top. The smaller lams appear to be somewhat fragile, which is a stark and somewhat undesired contrast to the substantial top.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I appreciate the comments.

As AHill's signature line states "Still learning".
Very nice use of both book-matching and natural edge.
The bent lamination base joined by the center rail is one of the better designed bases I've seen on a freeform live edge top.
Not so sure about the extra curved laminates; looks like you were trying too hard for an "arty" look.
In all, excellent craftsmanship and a very nice piece of work.
A beautiful table and I have to disagree with the crowd. I really like the arches in the base. To me, it's a nice counterbalance to the massive top. I've seen 1000 slab tables with generic bases that showcase only the top. I've even built a couple.
Yours is more interesting.
wow
nice table I like the eyes in the wood top looks like a face
I also kind of like the bent lams I would like to see it both ways to really decide
but well done anyway you look at it