Fein Turbo II vaccum speed buttons quit working
Hey guys. I have two of the Fein Turbo II vacs and one of them I cant change the speed settings on anymore. Anyone know what could be wrong and what to do about it? It is out of warranty of course. I would guess there is maybe 10 hours of use on it.

I called Fein and aparantly they have a 3 year warranty so it is covered under warranty. I just have to send it in.

It only has probably 10 or so hours of use on it. I only used it with Mirka Ceros. I went thru 3 Mirka Ceros and had problems with all 3 so finally just got my money back on that. But it makes me wonder if the problems with the Ceros caused the problem with the Fein vac..Donno.

The guy did say the speed control is about $200.

Certainly good news. I'm guessing this isn't that common a problem from the lack of replies.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Yea i had just assumed they had only a 1 year warranty.

Not saying it is the problem, but the really fine dust can get into switches of anything and cause problems. On my Fein I use one of these from Rockler. I hardly get anything into the vac anymore, including drywall dust. Vac is pristine looking, now that dust separator is a different story.

Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Bought one 4 years ago. 3 months later the off/on switch failed. Fein replaced the switch BUT I had to pay the shipping cost, $15, to send the head to Fein. A year later the 2-speed switch, high/low, switch stopped working on the low setting --- thankfully. I wasn't going to spend another $15 for shipping. Considering what I paid for the machine, I'm still not happy. Seems like they still haven't developed reliable switches.
Most of their tools use off the shelf switches. I would bet that your could take the part numbers and figure out what to order but if it's a variable speed unit it's most likely built specifically for them or by them.

I also use a cyclone for the fine dust. I have the Chinese upgraded redesign of the American copy of the American original...When I compared it side by side with the DD they were pretty much dead on for dust catching but the Chinese one had less pressure loss so slightly more efficient and at a fraction of the cost. Only bad part is the odd metric size fittings.
It cost me $18.50 to ship it.
I have another Turbo 2 that i bought only two weeks after i bought the first one and it is within 50 of the serial # of the first one. Supposedly they were on sale and i paid $299 for each one.

For me i dont see the need to have a dust deputy on my Fein vacs. I think the bags work really good. Where this one is next to my downdraft machines there is no room for a DD anyways. The other Turbo 2 is used for my Dominos and tracksaw.

I do have two Dust Deputies on two other shop vacs in the shop.

I use the DD on one of my regular shop vac for drywall dust. I don't get anything in the vac at all. With a bag or filter it would plug up in seconds with that dust.
I have used it in the shop some and may use some out there in the future for tools that would use it better than the big dc hose. Sure is nice just emptying a 5 gallon bucket instead of the vac
I think it weird about the dust deputies. On mine a good amount of fine dust gets into the vac and filter so not overly impressed with dust deputy.

On the fein vacs the dust goes into a bag and it is like a brick when you empty it...the filter never looks like it has even a spec of dust on it.