futon plans
I ordered plans from U-BILD for a futon sofabed. I'm not
an advanced woodworker, but have a pretty decent knowledge of what to do. The plans are somewhat confusing to me. Has anyone else had the problem with these plans. Mainly, is there anyone that had made a futon frame I could email with questions. Thanks, Sandra
The main thing is I can't get a visual on how
the carriage bolts work with raising and lowering
the bed. Any advise will help and thanks, Sandra
I never built a futon or bought the plans, but I did buy and assemble a real wood futon. The carriage bolts, if I remember correctly went through a large nylon roller with washers on the outside of each end and into the outside frame on both sides of the futon arms. These rollers would then fit into recessed grooves on both sides of the mattress frame. The ends of the futon would be attached together with long rails with screws. When it was totally assembled, the mattress frame would slide from a sofa to a bed position fairly easily by lifting the front of the seat (there was a notch in each end that locked it into the front cross rail) and pulling. The rollers on the carriage bolt would follow the grooves and the frame would lay flat.

I hope this is understandable ... I know it's kind of hard to follow without pictures.
Thank you so much. I closed my eyes and tried to see
what you were describing. A little better understanding
but not 100% but a big help. Thanks, Sandra