Computer desk ideas
I need to come up with an idea for a new desk/work space for myself and my new computer. I have an 8' wall space to work with.

Pictures and/or suggestions are appreciated. I prefer straight line areas. Will probably go with a tall book case at the end of the desk.
Jim
Couple of my favorites with straight lines:

"The things I make may be for others, but how I make them is for me." -Tony Konovaloff
"Have nothing in your house which you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." - William Morris

A designed I did for myself. The monitor on the left is a Wacom Cintiq tablet mounted so I can pull it down to draw on it. There's plenty of room for a pair of monitors mounted on the back frame, too.
DaveR1 said:

With the sketchup on screen, natch. So meta!

You should photoshop that sketchup screen onto the Cinteq in the sketchup. "Turtles all the way down!"
"The things I make may be for others, but how I make them is for me." -Tony Konovaloff
"Have nothing in your house which you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." - William Morris
kompera said:

You should photoshop that sketchup screen onto the Cinteq in the sketchup. "Turtles all the way down!"

Sorta like this? You don't even need Photoshop for that.
A wall mounted, cantilever base gets my vote:

http://tablebases.com/table-bases/series...ever-bases

You then can build small storage units on casters and re-arrange as required. It is a very fast build and looks very clean. I made a pull-out keyboard drawer for mine.

Some shelves above would be good too.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.

combine them.

the wire chases are under the unit and act as the support for the cantilevered top

Or

Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Consider your ergonomics. A badly placed monitor height or angle will quickly ruin your neck. You want the keyboard at the right height for you. Do you want the printer readily at hand? A scanner? Are you going to be constantly plugging stuff into the USB ports? If so, you will want the machine at a comfortable height.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Ergotron monitor arms correct for almost any monitor placement issues. They also handle wire routing to the desk. I use ones that get resold typically from hospitals or other industrial outlets to get a huge break on the price, that I find on ebay. They also have ones for keyboard placement as well. I fix placement of keyboard issues with an adjustable chair though.

As for desks I like modular solutions. My setup was reconfigured with the last move and I was very glad it was modular. One day I am going to glue-up a new desk top in hardwood. I made a new edge for my center desk already.

I think using computers at a desk is definitely short lived in many households. I am about the only one in my house that does it with any regularity. Love large monitors. That is the same reason I like my desk at work as well - love dual monitors.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

This is something on my project list too, but it's behind a number of other things. My wife doesn't want a desk with monitor and clutter in sight, so I've been toying with the idea of a modified version of a colonial style secretary incorporating a monitor, gadget charging station, some cubbies and a few secret compartments - all of which could be closed up and hidden inside a piece of nice looking furniture. Has anyone seen or built anything like that?
-Matt