Computer desk ideas
For some ideas take a look at anthro cart they have a huge number of systems that are widely used and liked. LIL has very good points. You want the monitor at eye level as a below eye level monitor can induce torticollis which causes the head to be pointed downward. Keyboard height is critical as bad placement can cause carpal tunnel.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
A live edge version I made ...

Not actually a desk, but a Tower, printer and supply cabinet. Monitor and keyboard are on desk, next to cabinet.
The top flips up, to open access lift up top on printer for scanning.
" />
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
See ya later,
Bill
Am in the design process as well. Definitely looking to the longer term so it will not be obsoleted by new hardware. Some features that will probably stand the test of time; (crystal ball time)

A flat surface to set laptop, printer and other devices on. This will be granite. 74 x 30

A slot in the back to feed wires down thru to minimize the clutter. I don't expect to change wires much and do expect to remain able to crawl under the desk so there will be a power strip and whatever else hidden behind a pair of doors at the back of the knee space.

Classic good looks never go out of style, subdued Greene & Greene will meet this requirement.

Some drawers will be needed to store stuff and one for the few pieces paper that still demand storage.

Please let me know what to change before I start building.
Thank you! I was just venturing up and out of the basement to ask the very same thing. I'm going to make a desk for myself as my next project too.

I was thinking something more curvy, kidney bean shaped.

But am just collecting ideas.
“Almost no one is ever insulted into agreement.”

Kidney bean shape sounds like fun. What will you do with the base unit and drawers?

What wood are you looking at?

I've started construction of the drawer boxes in some Oak I got cheap. Looking at Mahogany for most of it with a little Ebony trim.
dunno
dunno
dunno

I just want something interesting and challenging.
“Almost no one is ever insulted into agreement.”

Allow for a supplemental monitor at eye level and with 4K resolution.
Allow for a drawing par i.e. Wacom.
Allow for a good color printer/scanner/fax/ unit—not wireless.
Allow for good speakers and control, audiophile like JBL or GENLEC.
GET a good full time UPS and figure where to put i and cool it!
Figure out ventilation. No point on frying or shortening the life of $1k or so in gear because you cant easily change the 20 cent filter on one of the $3 fans protecting it.
How about lighting? Top/drawers/underneath?
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
Thanks for the reply JR

Allow for a supplemental monitor at eye level and with 4K resolution.
This could get a custom stand to hold it where needed.

Allow for a drawing par i.e. Wacom.
Um...what's this?

Allow for a good color printer/scanner/fax/ unit—not wireless.
This is going to go on a separate piece of furniture since it's long term size and shape is unpredictable. What's the problem with wireless?

Allow for good speakers and control, audiophile like JBL or GENLEC.
Great thought, I had missed this completely.

Get a good full time UPS and figure where to put it and how to cool it!
Another good point, in my case the whole house generator and laptop battery should suffice.

Figure out ventilation. No point on frying or shortening the life of $1k or so in gear because you cant easily change the 20 cent filter on one of the $3 fans protecting it.
Also important. Current plan is just a laptop and now something for music but a plan for the future is easy before I start the carcase.

How about lighting?
Thinking about some LED strip lights. Have to get some and see if that works.