Computer desk ideas
If you want extreme flexiblity in design, then these cantilever table bases would do fine: http://tablebases.com/table-bases/series...ever-bases

You can then make several "rolling" pedestals containing drawers or shelves and those could be moved around to accommodate different needs.

Or use stock filing cabinets or base units from Ikea and mount them on casters.

It also makes cleaning the floor easy-peasy.

I like mid-century modern and I would probably go with steel hairpin legs with a banded hardwood ply top. Not fancy woodwork, but clean appearing and quick to build.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Shovel Man said:

Allow for a drawing par i.e. Wacom.
Um...what's this?

Wacom is a screen computer artists draw directly on. My wife is a freelance illustrator for childrens books and magazines and uses one daily. They aren't cheap.

The angled screen on the corner unit in the photo below is hers. It since been put on a swing arm to change the height.

I built the desk below. Has four sliding trays on full extensions. One for a combination fax/scanner/printer, one each for a large format scanner and a wide printer, and a fourth I forget why it was once needed but isn't anymore.

Also, closest to you in the picture, the base cabinet has shelves for storing papers, sketches, etc. I suspect she has more paper than most of us.

Computer workstation I made for the kitchen

And a desk I made for my father. I need to retake these photos.

Mike
mikefm101 said:

Wacom is a screen computer artists draw directly on. My wife is a freelance illustrator for childrens books and magazines and uses one daily. They aren't cheap.

The angled screen on the corner unit in the photo below is hers. It since been put on a swing arm to change the height.

Mike

Mike, you're right. They aren't cheap but I sure wouldn't give mine up now.

What kind of arm is hers mounted on? I have mine on an Ergotron arm that was basically designed for the Cintiq and it works very well.
JR1 said:

Allow for a supplemental monitor at eye level and with 4K resolution.
Allow for a good color printer/scanner/fax/ unit—not wireless.
Allow for good speakers and control, audiophile like JBL or GENLEC.
GET a good full time UPS and figure where to put i and cool it!
Figure out ventilation. No point on frying or shortening the life of $1k or so in gear because you cant easily change the 20 cent filter on one of the $3 fans protecting it.
How about lighting? Top/drawers/underneath?

You know - there's not too many things on my desk now that I could have predicted 8 years ago.

Trying to future-proof a computer desk strikes me as a fools-errand. Do your best, but don't fret about it.

No matter what you do, it'll be wrong...
...eventually.
“Almost no one is ever insulted into agreement.”

Sure there are things that I deliberately left out as they are associated with audio/video production and editing. Nextgen interface and display. Thunderbolt will be replaced in 3 to 5 years and 8k monitors will be necessary in about the same time frame. All you can do is peer dumbly into your crystal ball and irregardless leap into the soup and hope not to drown.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
pconroy said:

[blockquote]JR1 said:

Allow for a supplemental monitor at eye level and with 4K resolution.
Allow for a good color printer/scanner/fax/ unit—not wireless.
Allow for good speakers and control, audiophile like JBL or GENLEC.
GET a good full time UPS and figure where to put i and cool it!
Figure out ventilation. No point on frying or shortening the life of $1k or so in gear because you cant easily change the 20 cent filter on one of the $3 fans protecting it.
How about lighting? Top/drawers/underneath?

You know - there's not too many things on my desk now that I could have predicted 8 years ago.

Trying to future-proof a computer desk strikes me as a fools-errand. Do your best, but don't fret about it.

No matter what you do, it'll be wrong...
...eventually.

[/blockquote]

The one thing I don't regret is the pullout keyboard drawer. It keeps things a bit tidied because the mouse and my pens are there, but mostly it puts the keyboard at a level that is ideal for typing (about 24").
Yikes! So many ideas. Not complaining just surprised.

1 thing I will include in my desk is a power bar at or near the surface so I can plug & unplug devices w/out crawling under the desk. I've been traveling a lot & it sure is a pain. I was a tunnel rat in Nam back in 1967 and I don't enjoy it now like I did then. No more adrenaline rush!
Jim
I have one of these: http://i.stack.imgur.com/Fbaj8.jpg

And it is very handy for power supply.

I routed through the desk top with these grommets (available from Amazon.com): http://cdn3.image-tmart.com/prodimgs_v2/....jpg?1407222698
DaveR1 said:

[blockquote]mikefm101 said:

Mike

What kind of arm is hers mounted on? I have mine on an Ergotron arm that was basically designed for the Cintiq and it works very well.

[/blockquote]

She is using an Ergotron arm on a 22" Cintiq.

She isn't overjoyed with the arm, but wonders if something isn't tightened enough. The lower edge of the monitor basically rests on the desktop. If she raises it it sags when she leans on it to draw. There are some big cables coming out of it that doesn't seem to help matters.

She's been thinking of upgrading to the new 27" model. That comes with a cantilevered support stand that looks well designed. That model with the stand weighs about 60 lbs.

Mike
mikefm101 said:

[blockquote]DaveR1 said:

[blockquote]mikefm101 said:

Mike

[/blockquote]

She is using an Ergotron arm on a 22" Cintiq.

She isn't overjoyed with the arm, but wonders if something isn't tightened enough. The lower edge of the monitor basically rests on the desktop. If she raises it it sags when she leans on it to draw. There are some big cables coming out of it that doesn't seem to help matters.

She's been thinking of upgrading to the new 27" model. That comes with a cantilevered support stand that looks well designed. That model with the stand weighs about 60 lbs.

Mike

[/blockquote]

The Ergotron can be counterbalanced for monitors over 20 pounds. Go to the official Ergotron website. Open the video that shows how to install the Ergotron. Near the end of the video they show how to adjust the counterbalance. I think you need an allen wrench for this. It is a quick and easy fix.